Nervous about writing a Controversial Hub

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Lady_E profile image63
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

In the past I have written a few light Controversial Hubs, (abortion, posing nude, being fat not a crime etc)

I feel like writing against Somalian Piracy but this time I am a bit nervous that people might come after me. (being of African background and sort of speaking against the Somalians)   At the moment they still have that innocent, retired British couple in their care and it’s not looking good. They are making a habit of kidnapping Foreigners for Millions. I don’t want any headache, but at the same time, want to speak out. 

(It might not be deemed Controversial here, but it could be over there)

How do you deal with being nervous about writing an article?

1. ComputerGuy profile image61
      ComputerGuyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Right what you need to.  Having people debate and speak their opinions is also great.  It's when the taking stops that the world is in really bad shape.

1. profile image0
        Michelle Grooveposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree.

2. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Take in a deep breath, let it out slowly. Write down notes on another piece of paper, collect your thoughts and then once you are ready dive in and go straight for it.

Good luck!

3. mistywild profile image59
    mistywildposted 14 years ago

maybe don't use Somilian, make up something but say this hub is based on fact??

4. Dale Mazurek profile image62
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

Dont let your fears stop you from writing what you believe in.  Heck you could write about vanilla ice cream and have it turn into a controversy.

Sounds like a great idea for a hub and I am looking forward to reading it.

Its sort of how I thought when I decided to write hubs about death and so forth.  I though people would think me morbid after losing my dad only two weeks ago.  However I have learned a lot about death and the industry that I thought it should be shared.

Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So sorry to hear about your Dad, Dale.
      Thanks for your comments. Do take care.

5. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

I write it, especially if it's controversial, you owe it to yourself to be honest and speak what is real even if its not always easy or popular. If you actually think your life could be in danger then I would give it some thought, but beyond that write what you want. Do not let others use fear, to master you.

6. profile image0
    Michelle Grooveposted 14 years ago

What the Somalian pirates have been doing is a terrible thing. You shouldn't be scared - they are the ones putting fear into so many innocent people. I really can't see how writing about the topic could upset people. What these pirates are doing is fact and is now a global problem. No matter where you come from, threatening people with guns, kidnapping and hijacking for millions of dollars can't be justified. I'd be very interested to read your hub when you write it.

7. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I don't think it's a good idea.
    Playing the hero, is not a good game.

I know about 3rd world countries and gangs. They are not kidding.
    And life's not a movie.

1. profile image0

Maybe I misunderstand what you're saying, but I really can't see how writing an article on HubPages on what these pirates are doing can cause the author harm. Many news articles have been written about what's been happening and I don't remember hearing about these journalists being tracked down by the pirates???

1. tantrum profile image59
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well then, give it a try !

Do you know this journalists?  do you know the kind of threats they have to bear sometimes ?
        do you live in a third world country ?
        Do you know somalian gangs ?

But of course, if you think I'm wrong and confusing you, accept my apologies.
          Far from  my intention.

2. profile image0

I would just really like it explained to me - do you REALLY think that writing an article explaining the sorts of things that have been going on would:
          1) reach the Somalian pirates?
          2) anger them so much that they would want to come after me
          3) put me in danger even though there's no way anyone could know what my real name is, let alone my address?

The answers to your questions are:
          -I don't know these journalists or the threats they receive
          -I don't live in a third world country (obviously)
          -I don't know any Somalian gangs
          My question is, what does this have to do with my suggestion that writing an article about Somalian gangs on HubPages (do you really think they've even heard of HubPages) would endanger the author?

As I said before give it a try !
            It's obvious, as you said, that you don't live in a 3rd world country.  lol

I do.

3. Lady_E profile image63

Exactly Tantrum.  Some of them are very dangerous and into terrorism. There are thousands of Somalians in London.

1. profile image0

So do you think that they would read your hub, somehow track you down and terrorise you for the article? Truly, is that what you believe would actually happen? Because if that's true, then I suppose I'll have to take this is another example of why I wouldn't want to live anywhere else but Australia. We don't live with such fear (yet). And yes, there are Somalians living in Australia as well.

Cheers Michelle, the aim of my thread was to ask advice on how to deal with Writing the Hub, which you previously replied to. (below) Many thanks for those comments - let's leave it at that. smile

8. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

Becoming a sacrificial lamb isn't what you want and I think that's what you're getting at, and I agree with it. No sense in bringing bad stuff to you that you don't need.

But there are two ways that you can look at it:

• You could write about piracy in general and draw some examples of what's going on with Somalians.

• But if you feel strongly about Somalian piracy, you really should pull up your bootstraps and write what you need to say about it. Generally, everyone is in agreement with you, but you are being the voice because you're feeling nudged to do so I'll bet.

Follow what your inner voices tells you. It always seems to pay off. At least I think so.

1. profile image0

Again, I'm confused here. Do you really think that there's a danger in writing about piracy that is going on in the oceans near Somalia? I can't imagine these pirates sitting down and reading about themselves on HubPages, and who else would get so upset about such an article?

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
        Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it's more about whatever we personally fear. All I did was try get in Lady_E's frame of thinking to see what it feels like and go from there. I think your point is valid, Michelle. But it depends more on what Lady_E would think about it.

9. Lady_E profile image63
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Thanks so much for all your comments everyone.
    I am pondering over them.

Much appreciated. smile

10. profile image0
    Michelle Grooveposted 14 years ago

I've never been one to back down from a challenge tantrum, but I'm not going to steal Lady_E's idea. However if you decide not to write the article Lady_E, let us know and I'll put something together - I just hate to think that people actually believe doing this could cause them harm. Do we really live with such fear? It's not like we'd be standing in front of these pirates telling them to their face what we think - yes that would be dangerous. It's simply writing an anonymous article based on the facts we gather mostly from the media (so it's already been published elsewhere). We need to be sensible here.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)