jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Does anyone know a great book publisher?

1. fratjoe18 profile image61
    fratjoe18posted 6 years ago

I'm looking for a traditional book publisher, not self publishing like you see all over the internet. anyone know a legit company that accepts manuscripts?

1. dohn121 profile image88
      dohn121posted 6 years ago in reply to this

99.9% of publishing houses won't even look at unsolicited manuscripts.  Your best bet is to find a literary agent and the best way to do that is to first get some of your work into contests and literary journals.

Take it from me: I majored in creative writing and know the business as I've been at it for the last 10 years...There's no shortcut to traditional publishing, but it certainly isn't impossible.  Stephen King's "On Writing" is a great book for those who want to improve their craft and get published.

Good luck.

P.S. And the 00.1% of the publishing houses that will accept your manuscript won't market your book as would a reputable publishing house...Translation?  You'd be better off self-publishing and promoting your own work on-line in that case (back to square-one).

2. 0
    PashaSposted 6 years ago

I agree with what dohn121 said you really need to start with a literary agent and don't just pick any agent, you need to pick an agent that deals with the type of book you write, such as fiction or non-fiction, children's book and so on. The literary agents job is to try and help you get a deal and if and will shop the manuscript for you however you have to do more than just find a literary agent because they are going to want to know how you plan to market it on your end do you have any followers via blogs etc; so on and so forth. Give it a shot! Most literary agents will ask you for a query letter first and maybe a chapter or two of your book. Also visit the site Predators & Editors, it is a great site to finding a legit agent. Hope that helps! Good luck!

3. sannyasinman profile image83
    sannyasinmanposted 6 years ago

I used to think that I could publish a book and become famous. I now realise that I have to become famous to publish a book.

So, first find a way to become a celebrity, then it doesn't matter what you write. Publishers will be fighting over each other to publish it.

4. h.a.borcich profile image59
    h.a.borcichposted 6 years ago

The Writers Digest is a wealth of info on publishing. The annual edition is pricey but it is also at our library and free to glean. Good luck smile