jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

What information do readers most want to read in a true story?

1. Mrs. Obvious profile image95
    Mrs. Obviousposted 6 years ago

I'm writing a book about me and my son's struggle with his mental illness that started at 2 1/2 years old. It is a story of hope, because we found a vitamin cure and he is now a stable, healthy boy. What details about mental illness do people want to hear? What do you think should never be left out of a true story?

1. bukan profile image60
      bukanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

True story finds the story which has been never heard yet, that is your good thing for your story if you have then write it.

2. shazwellyn profile image84
      shazwellynposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have found that writing a true story isn't a problem, reading it out loud can be.  Some things might be still raw.  Another difficulty is others that love and know you.  I have found myself keeping the story a secret from them.  I don't think people should write thinking in terms that loved ones will read, even though the truth might hurt them, it can sku the writing process.  I wrote my true stories as I see it.  It seems that, for me, it is ok for strangers to read the story, but not those I love.  I also wrote the stories as if it was someone else.  I guess this helps me to depersonalise the experiences.  Good luck x

2. 0
    Crazdwriterposted 6 years ago

Your emotions and dealing with the struggle. his emotions and dealing with it. those would be good things to add to a nonfiction story

3. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

Readers need to feel involved.  Find a point in the story where you can engage your readers and make them want to know more, even if that means starting in the middle or at the end.

If you start your story with lots of banal background, no one will read the story however good it is.  You can always fill in the backstory later.

4. TINA V profile image81
    TINA Vposted 6 years ago

Perhaps, you may want to include the following:

1.  how did his mental illness started?
    2.  emotional and physical struggle of your son and your whole family
    3.  worst experience during the struggle
    4.  how did your son and your family survived such trial in life?
    5.  who were the people who helped you survived it?
    6.  did God touched your lives?

hhhmmm... oh well, just thoughts to ponder on for your book.

1. Mrs. Obvious profile image95
      Mrs. Obviousposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for all the tips so far! These are good confirmations of what I was thinking would be good. Please keep the suggestions coming!

5. maudine_05 profile image61
    maudine_05posted 6 years ago

I believe any real stories are interesting to read since it happened and some people can relate to it. Will wait until you publish that.