jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Any Advice for a New Novelist?

1. adamareangere profile image80
    adamareangereposted 6 years ago

I am taking a stab at writing a full-length novel, which is a much different and frustrating experience then my usual short stories that I write. Do any novelists have suggestions/tips they can provide me with for the process? I'm a few chapters in and its taken me longer than I thought to just get those done and with an aim of at least 90,000 words I fear the end is never in sight!

2. TINA V profile image81
    TINA Vposted 6 years ago

I suggests that you check out the profile of Destined To Win.  She has an article on "How I Wrote My First Book".  You might be able to get some insights that might help you.

adamareangereposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, I'll check it out now!

3. Dolores Monet profile image91
    Dolores Monetposted 6 years ago

Well, good luck with the novel! Have just finished one up myself (written with a friend) and we are going to start shopping it around after the 1st of the year. Whatever happens with you novel (and mine) it's a great experience and really good for the old brain.

Thank you, Dolores. I have written several stories and my best friend and I have a compilation novel of them and I am in the process of final edits on a manuscript for a friend (it took him 2 years to write it!) so I'm a little nervous to start a novel on my own. I wish you the best of luck and let me know when your novel gets published!

4. Susana S profile image93
    Susana Sposted 6 years ago

Once you've written a good few chapters find yourself an agent who works with writers on that topic. There is a website that has a list of agents from all over the world but I can't remember the link - sorry!

Thanks Susana, I actually have a list of about 100 agencies and am in the process of making it a Hub. But first I have to finish getting their individual Submission requests and Genres categorized. I probably will start looking for an agent 1/2 way through the novel, it's too rough right now and I write the story sporadically.

5. onthewriteside profile image74
    onthewritesideposted 6 years ago

It took me about a year and a half to completely finish my novel.  It ended up being 464 pages in standard hard cover.  It should be on the shelves next month.

I wrote a hub for new authors, but it has more to do with publishing than it does the actual writing, so you might not find it too useful at this point.  What I can tell you is that I often experienced the very same feelings of frustration during the writing process.  There were days when everything would click, days where I couldn't write a word, and then others where I wrote for hours only to trash it all later.

One thing I found useful was to change venues occasionally.  When I would get seriously blocked, I would grab my laptop and go sit on the back deck by the waterfall, go to a park, or just change rooms.  In fact a decent portion of my book was even written in a local pub I frequent.  A friend of mine can't write anywhere except in his study, so this probably wouldn't work for everyone, (especially writing in a crowded pub).  It did, however, work nicely for me.  There are two characters in my novel whose descriptions and development were directly forged from people I happened to see interacting in this bar.

After some trial and error, you will eventually figure out what works best for you though.  The important thing is not to get discouraged and keep on plugging away!