jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

I got book contract,but Im suspicous

1. JannyC profile image70
    JannyCposted 6 years ago

I recent got an approval from Publish America that they want to publish my book. I also know a person who got published by them too. So they seem okay, but I am leary. I would like some advice if any one can help. This is what they state though.

"Currently, your work is lacking proper formatting, which would be a large hindrance in production of your work.  Specifically, your manuscript contains some spelling and grammar issues."

grammar and spelling yeah I knew that probably that but proper formatting? Im not understanding? Most places though would probably not see beyond the bad formating and spelling grammar but this place want to still give it a chance aside the fact. I got a date of till March 1 2010 to fix it up. I questions this though. Is this legit? I shall be look forward to responses.
    Thank you,

2. Daniel Carter profile image92
    Daniel Carterposted 6 years ago

Grammar, spelling, proper paragraph breaks, etc., may be all that they are referring to as "formatting" issues. You could certainly ask them to clarify. And before you sign the contract, make sure you understand all the details of what you're getting into. What rights will you retain, if any, and what rights they have as a result of acquiring your book. Very important stuff to know.

If you need help with cleaning up your manuscript for publication, you may want to consider getting some help from a qualified writer friend or professional. Checking around with other publishers and writers who are published regarding the contracts and terms they work under will also help you make informed decisions about your situation.

Best of luck. Proceed carefully.

3. 0
    lynnechandlerposted 6 years ago

Publish America is basically printing the book yourself. They take the money to get it in a book then you have to do all the other work. The artwork in past years has been less than stellar on the covers.

If you don't mind putting out money to get them to print the book and then doing all the legwork to promote, market etc and You don't mind less than stellar then go for it.

Personally I wouldn't waste my time. Look for an agent or check into some of the ebook publishers like red rose press, samhain, there are tons of ways to go and I wouldn't recommend Publish America.

Look it up in Preditors and Editors and see what they have to say.

4. Bovine Currency profile image59
    Bovine Currencyposted 6 years ago

try print on demand.  Amazon offers this through booksurge.