jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

What is the best way to publish a new book?

1. G Miah profile image83
    G Miahposted 6 years ago

I would like to find out some information as to how to go about writing and publishing a book.

Any advice and tips are welcome.

1. treasuresyw profile image60
      treasuresywposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Self Publishing is growing. It is very rewarding experience. It does take knowing a few things or hiring those that do.

Do a search on publishing here. You will probably find a great bit of info on the subject. Read as much as possible so that you can find the best outlet for you. You will do good.

When you're done join goodreads. There are a lot of great people there. You can join now as a reader and begin asking questions.

2. Moneylady profile image75
      Moneyladyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi! You may want to check with mdawson17 here at hubpages. He has been writing books for over 7 years and his books sell all over the world! He can give you some really good inside info to help you on your quest. Good luck to you!

3. lxd35 profile image60
      lxd35posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't have much information about publishing, but if you're looking to start writing a novel I have some tips on my Writers Block hub smile

2. NaomiR profile image86
    NaomiRposted 6 years ago

It's a long, complicated road, but here's what you'd need to do in brief:

1. This goes without saying, but finish the book if it's fiction or come up with a detailed outline/proposal if it's non-fiction.

2. Write a kick-ass query letter and get a literary agent (which is a trick in itself).

3. The agent will then send out your work to his/her connections in the biz, and if all goes right, a deal will be made (with the agent getting you the best possible $$$).

*You can send to publishing houses yourself, provided they accept manuscripts without an agent.

*You can self-publish ... which is definitely the only way that you can pretty much guarantee that your work will be out there.

3. G Miah profile image83
    G Miahposted 6 years ago

Some helpfull tips, thanks for that! I guess i will have to think about what i really want to do because i've got the story in my mind, but don't know how to go about it.

I am looking deeply into it, so thank you for your help.

1. OregonWino profile image85
      OregonWinoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have a good friend who finally got a book published after about 5 years of trying and talk about a journey!!  I would REALLY do your research on the topic, there are all kinds of online writers cafe's etc.  I would also say that there are a ton of scams out there and you should avoid paying ANYONE anything until you have really worked it out. A  legit literary agent and publisher will not ask you for money!!

1. G Miah profile image83
        G Miahposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Oregonwino, thank you for your help, very much appreciated. This is what i'm worried about, i don't want to pay some company hundreds of dollars and not get anything out of it!

I will be carefull, thanks.

4. dogluver1 profile image61
    dogluver1posted 6 years ago

Well get a good story that people crave for. An example is the twilight saga people crave for those...

5. Randy Kadish profile image61
    Randy Kadishposted 6 years ago

If you self publish I'd go with print-on-demand, so you don't have to pay to have a lot of books printed.

I'd make sure you use at least two good proofreaders; and try to get some good feedback to help you improve the book.

I must warn you: marketing a book is almost a full-time job.

6. diamondzulusa profile image60
    diamondzulusaposted 6 years ago

post your book in wikipedia.org/