Is anyone else AFRAID to share their work sometimes?

Jump to Last Post 1-39 of 39 discussions (59 posts)
  1. globalserenity profile image60
    globalserenityposted 14 years ago

Sometimes I have to slap myself around a bit...

I'm a poet, and I have some work that I am very proud of...but when it comes to sharing my work, online, or simply giving someone a poem of mine to read, I get all weird and uncomfortable about it, like I feel that at the very least they won't know how the "flow" of the poem is supposed to go, which has always bothered me.

I mean to me...when I write, I feel the effect gets through better when I read it out loud to someone rather than have them read it.
    To me, Poetry is like music, it has a flow, a beat, a rhythm. I'm always the girl that busts out my poetry books at parties after everyone is nice and drunk and ready for me to share aloud.

Of course that kind of thinking will forever keep me from sharing anything, not to mention I have anxiety when reading from my heart in front of people, I'm liable to just break down and cry or something sometimes, yes, it's that bad...

How do I break through this wall in order to work on actually sharing my poems with people that I can't physically read to?

Better yet, my fear of plagiarism keeps me even further back in my hole when it comes to sharing anything online.

Does anyone else have fears or insecurities like these, or am I just truly...odd?
    Do you guys have work that stays buried, doomed to never see the light of day, not due to the sensitive nature of, but the simple fact that either someone could steal from you....OR, someone could simply not get the flow when reading to themselves. Feels so silly typing that out loud..

1. DogSiDaed profile image61
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have a lot of work that I am unable to post here, a real lot. Sometimes I just have to force myself to just go for it and put it out there, but often I can't or I write a poem nobody will understand so I delete it. I don't consider plagiarism a major threat currently, I believe it can be for older and better hubbers, but people such as myself are less likely to have any replicated content. As to the flow, yes I am always unsure if people will read it in the way I read it. But you have to take the chance really smile

globalserenityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep, I'm thinking, thanks to these comments, I may be posting a lot more of my stuff. Fear only cripples us I suppose

2. beebeebook profile image62
      beebeebookposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, I say trust in God.

I say trust in oneself smile

3. jaded777 profile image60
      jaded777posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes for any writer or poet it could be a little scary putting your work out there because what you write comes from your heart. Once written it becomes a part of you and the fear of having someone not understand it or simply misread the flow can be mistaken for the reader misunderstanding you. But I agree with globalserenity trust yourself.

4. LeslieAdrienne profile image69
      LeslieAdrienneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have to grow tough skin....Learn to value the opinions of people who you esteem higher than youself....

If the General can sing, "Pants on the Ground" and get others to record it, than you can open up and share your material.....(American Idol see Youtube Jan 13, 2010)

Yes, your work is personal but are you writing just for yourself or to  enhance the lives of others?

Be bold...rejection comes to the best....just keep on writing.big_smile

5. Flightkeeper profile image66
      Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I write basically commercial and informational types of stuff, not really personal, soulful stuff like you have in your poems so I don't have that fear.  But I understand where you're coming from.  Also plagiarism is a problem. 

I think you should publish what you want to publish and keep personal what you want personal.  I don't know how long most of your work is but instead of posting the whole work you might want to post a part of it.  That way you have your full work for later publishing.

Poetry like plays and screenwriting need to be said and heard to get the full effect, at some point you have to trust that your work will communicate some part of what you want it to convey.  Just let it rip.

6. Support Med. profile image62
      Support Med.posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am feeling the same way.  I'm new to Hubpages. Trying my best to work out of the "fear."  I wish you the best and this, like most anything new, for most all of us is a process...so...it...will...take...some...time...and...we...hope...it...will...be...
      beneficial.. to us all...and that there is absolutely  not anything to be afraid of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Good Luck!!!

2. thranax profile image71
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

To answer your forum question without reading the LONG paragraph you wrote,

No. I make work to help people, and in return I get a chance at a bit of pocket change.

Win-Win.

~thranax~

3. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Your not odd, or if you are, I am too.  Sometimes I sit on a hub months before publishing it.  I am learning that this is silly, as the ones I have been most afraid of sharing are ones that I have gotten the greatest responses to.

However, there are many thing I write that will probably never leave my notebook.  Partly because they are unedited, partly because I am not sure I want to share them. 

For me, it is deciding if I wrote it for personal use or to share with the public.  If I wrote it to share, then it needs to be shared.  If I wrote it for me, then it is okay if it stays hidden.  If I wrote it just because the idea came, then I need to know what I want to do with the finished product, before I share it.

4. profile image0
    blatvaposted 14 years ago

Your work will have a tune to each who reads it smile  It is for them to hear.

Most everything that I write, I am afraid to share. Simply because... What I write is part of who I am. It's my thoughts, My feelings.

But by sharing those thoughts and feelings, I have found others who Accept me. Who enjoy me. Who love hearing what I have to say.

And you will too smile

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

The only thing you have to fear is fear itself. The oldest and simplest statement ever uttered by anyone.

If you fear something, then this is going to limit who you can be and who you end up as. You define who you are thru your thoughts and your actions.

The word "if", if I do this what will people think? or, if I do that then what are people going to think?

It is the unknown that creates the fear. And, you cannot learn the unknown, till you venture into it. If you don't ever display yourself, how can anyone ever get to know you, as a person.

Unless, you really don't want others to get to know you or you really don't have a need for friends, such as a hermit.

You are a human being, who has potential greater than you ever thought possible. It's for you to venture forward in life, by removing limitations you set on yourself and take life by the horns, per se.

If you feel the need or desire to express yourself, then do it!

Hope I helped. smile

6. The Rope profile image58
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

Try posting this poem to your mirror "Global", it will change meaning for you everyday.  It was written in 1975 but never seems to diminish for me...

"What if...
    But it didn't"

( smile Probably it's seeing this almost every day for the last 30 odd years that gave me my unconscious use of dots.)

Thanks everyone for your words of....wow that was sounding cliche. Truth is I just woke up and it's way to early to address you guys individually like I usually do.

But all joking aside, I appreciate the reassurances, that's no lie smile

Oh and sorry for the length of my initial post, I tend to get carried away sometimes, its one of my biggest downfalls in writing =/

7. ms_poet20 profile image60
    ms_poet20posted 14 years ago

i can relate to what you are saying. my main problem is i feel people are judging me when they read my work. sometimes words just come in my head and i write them down and work off of it. or even sometimes i just work off of evens that i know happen everyday to people. but when someone who knows me personally reads my poems i feel like they are taking the words off the page and connecting them to me and the girlo they see standing in front of them and it succks majorly. i was also worried about plagarism for the longest time too and i was determined to publish my works in a book instead of online but one of my professors who teaches creative writing told me that it doesnt matter where i publish whether it's online or in a book plagarism can always happen. so i say just take the risk and put you work out there. who know? maybe you'll touch some unexpected hearts.

8. Betty Reid profile image60
    Betty Reidposted 14 years ago

My posts are not deeply personal, so I'm not too worried about that.  However, since I'm in academics, I want everything to be well-written, so I'm afraid to post anything that's not well edited.

9. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

if you are happy with your work and especially if you're proud of some of your poems, be equally proud to share them with others!
    I think so much of poetry is inspired and comes from a deep place; these emotions touch others also.  just as very beautiful music inspires us because often this music or lyrics come from an inspired state of being.

I do understand your feelings though, I think anyone who writes poetry feels those same feelings at times. we all share the same emotions and feelings, so your poems will mean something to others also! smile

10. lovelypaper profile image59
    lovelypaperposted 14 years ago

I understand about being reluctant to share your writing. Creativity alot of times comes from a very deep part of our souls that can sometimes be very raw and may come across in a totally different way to someone else. You should share if you can, in this is a gift.

11. profile image0
    AdamGDposted 14 years ago

Trust yourself

12. globalserenity profile image60

Thanks guys smile

I'm starting to feel more and more comfortable about getting ym work out there, even if it is in cyber space.

What I find often is that yes, I fear the judgment of others, but more often than not, I tend to be my own worst critic. Getting over that self doubt is a huge part of my growth right now, that's for sure. smile

13. chinweike profile image58
    chinweikeposted 14 years ago

i don't spend extra bit wondering whether to publish or not, I hit the publish botton as soon as i finish writing and then start to edit from the dashboard.

maybe that is how God created me. those that read my earlier hubs can attest to that.

so go ahead and publish your work, provided you are writing in the field you have training in (formal or informal)

Wow, I have to do that too! I can't tell you how many times I hit publish then continued to edit, haha

14. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 14 years ago

It is funny but the only people that I can't bring myself to share my poetry with is my family. I have no problems sharing my work with others.

As for reading my poetry aloud ... I haven't done that accept in my poetry writing class back at college. It is in some way nerve wrecking but I think that with time it gets easier.

I am actually a member of some writing sites where I post my work:

writing.com
    authorsden.com
    gather.com

Writing.com actually puts a copyright notice at the botton of each item you post. The other two sites don't but I add it myself after each item. I trust these sites enough to post my writing on there, but of course there are no guarantees.

You should give them a try. Gather.com is totally free and the other two have basic free memberships (that have limitations) and paid ones. All depends what you're looking for. You'll reach more people that way and you'll even get valuable feedback for your writing.

Lena

Thank you for the links, I'm looking for any possible avenues for sharing that people can come up with.smile

15. Alessia Amnesia profile image62
    Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years ago

Someone once told me...

Okay, a song just popped into my head so let me rephrase.

Nike inspires me. "Just do it" is a phrase I often tell myself. I take a deep breath and I click publish. Since I don't know how to UN-publish something, it's done, finished, up for everyone to see, and that's all there is to it.

Please, no one tell me how to UN-publish hubs. My point is: Take the risk. Reap your rewards. Don't take the risk. Regret losing what rewards you may have had.

fantastic points indeed my friend smile

16. globalserenity profile image60

I am thrilled to share that I just published a truly deep poem here for the first time ever. And it's a new one, which is to say it's a product of my dark emotions today, but either way, that's a huge step for me.

Plus I feel a ton better of course, I have'nt written a new poem in far too long.

I also posted one of my favorites on my profile at RedRoom.com, so two in one week is HUGE.

I'm proud of myself, and I owe that in part to all of your words of encouragement despite my fears,
    So from the depths of my heart,
    thank you for taking the time smile

17. Alessia Amnesia profile image62
    Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years ago

Wow... You are an amazing writer. As I read your poem, I started remembering every time I had ever felt the same way and it seemed a beautiful torture, a beautiful reminisce of memories long forgotten, and memories yet to be gained. Amazing.

I truly am grateful that you consider me an "amazing writer"...Honestly, I never thought I'd see/hear those words regarding me coming from anyone besides family and close friends. You made my day. smile

I am glad it helped you to feel something familiar. I'm a picture painter in a  sense though that is always my ultimate goal when it comes to poetry, description is key.

Thanks for reading it friend smile

18. profile image0
    Denizeeposted 14 years ago

I don't think it's an odd question at all. We all have our own unique style of self-expression through written words and we share it because we have courage to do it. If it's a comment against your work which,  is something I learned to not take personal and continue with my writing regardless, I say write your heart out. It's inside, and whether we feel weird about it or not - who does it matter to the most what we write about?

Us.

I absolutely 100% agree with you.

It's a process but I'm working on it for sure smile

19. HubChief profile image71
    HubChiefposted 14 years ago

I am to share mine so that is why I use Alias on hubpages and still write what i like would help others at least get an extra viewpoint without putting bets on my personal characters.

20. pooja0908 profile image61
    pooja0908posted 14 years ago

Hi global
    I have the same nature like you.
    You are sensitive about your poems and its flow but I am sensitive or you can say possessive about everything which is mine. Usually I don’t like to share my things with others. You can call me selfish but I can’t help it. There are so many persons like you so don’t feel you odd. Nature makes difference. So you should have something which makes you differ from others.

21. ShallyD profile image60
    ShallyDposted 14 years ago

yes I'm afraid of sharing  my work but I have a problem of saying yes who so ever ask for help which sometimes keeps me in trouble.

22. PeeGee profile image61
    PeeGeeposted 14 years ago

Always! I guess you make a choice - you can keep it close and enjoy it and rely on people that love you / like you saying nice things or nothing at all or you can take that step and stick your head above the parapit.

I find that people are really great in either being positive or critical because they care - no-one on here is out to damage your confidence or stop you writing - we're all in the same boat trying to write good poems / prose and share them with others.

Being scared is good cos it means you care but it shouldn't stop you from wanting to hear the truth from the rest of the lovely, intelligent, cultured and interested hub page people.

23. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

you can be anyone though so you can post them under a different name, just to get feedback.  The internet is all singing all dancing, anything to everybody, well that is what i heard

24. I*n*v*i*c*t*u*s profile image60
    I*n*v*i*c*t*u*sposted 14 years ago

normally not, though a few times my heart was racing as I pressed the publish button.. a few times I've unpublished to edit because I felt to bare on my page with how close I've become with some  hubbers..
    though at the same time, pushed the limits with all the encouragement of sharing myself. So, overall, there is a rush of uncertainty how a piece with be received by others (sometimes), which I feel is good to push through, though can't say I am 'afraid.'

25. profile image0

once i nearly had a heart attack, so i had to delete..... shame that person never really got to know my true feelings, so i know where you are coming from i*n*v*c*t*u*s........ even though i do not always know where you are going.

26. I*n*v*i*c*t*u*s profile image60

I hear you, Poet! The pieces that I nearly pulled and had the biggest surges of vulnerability have turned out mostly as the most popular pieces, too. Funny enough..
    Where I am going?  smile not far.. received the wrong sim card.. only  2 gigs, so I cannot pull music... and maybe some photo's. not sure if I will be publishing anytime soon.. we will see.... or did you mean something else?

27. profile image0
    seasoningposted 14 years ago

hello everyone, i am a very shy poet, but i love the feedback i get, so may open up a bit...... this is nice to have a thread about how we feel about our poetry isn't it.

28. profile image0

oh no......... wrong sim card.

Cleansing today, ready to go in hospital tomorrow, so around but not alone, so will probably be moving on soon.  Reading the writers and artists handbook, every year i mean to buy one this time i got one hooray.

29. I*n*v*i*c*t*u*s profile image60

cleansing is good, I wish you the best tomorrow.. sure it will be fine. smile

moving on soon to where??

happy to hear your happy reading your new book.. I'm just trying to sort out some stuff..

30. Sab Oh profile image55
    Sab Ohposted 14 years ago

My stuff sucks, but who cares?

1. profile image0
      poetlorraineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that is very funny......................  i am going to check your stuff, and i will be the judge of it sucks or not ha ah

31. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

I think it is part of the process fo writing, but unless you put it out there you will never know smile

1. profile image0

well you are an expert, i have enjoyed reading your work, so i will take advice from you, thanks for that comment.......... i am taking over this thread, sorry ............

32. profile image0

er only moving off here, not moving in any direction, other than to milk this and lie in bed reading my  book.  Imagine being asked to write in that book, it would be a bit of an honour, eh........ 

i am so enjoying this thread. Long time since i joined in forums

33. Zac828 profile image60
    Zac828posted 14 years ago

Oh the fear strikes me all the time!!! There is stuff on scraps of paper; in files; on the computer; all over the place and it gets so chaotic that I hide it all away. So, not only the fear of putting your work out there and no-one giving a hoot about it, but also the fear of rummaging through the chaos. But, it must be done, writing is solitary and for most of us, meaningful. If you're proud of what you've done then share it. Someone will read it and it might inspire them.
    Like this, never done a forum thing before, absolutely no idea what I'm doing!!

1. profile image0

at least you kept your clothes on eh? you are too funny

34. I*n*v*i*c*t*u*s profile image60

Hey Zac! Nice to see you on the forum.. I don't come on here much and it has changed.. so feel a bit lost with following threads, haha..
    I really like the writing you have shared.
    Thanks for sharing, I used to have so much in journals from across the years that I may not have shared in public, though they were stolen, it was challanging getting beyond all my private scribbles being before god knows who's eyes..

1. Zac828 profile image60
      Zac828posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi there, you had stuff stolen?!! I wish in a way someone might steal mine!! Then I can start afresh!
      Frustrating though, worth keeping all the notes because you never know...

good to hear from you

2. profile image0

who stole it, and from where, that is bad eh?  someone may be a millionaire now with all your work.    At least i only stole pictures, and songs ha ah

35. profile image0
    Literature Fairyposted 14 years ago

I get REALLY nervous about posting poems & Stories online, not so much on Hubpages, but When I post things on my Facebook, where I know the people who will read it, I get very anxious! For a multitude of reasons, a lot of which you mentioned. So what I usually do is that as soon as its finished, while I'm still in the fuzzy, warm, proud 'look what I just did' stage, I quickly post it here, or facebook, myspace- wherever, before I have time to think about it. Then I get VERY nervous, or days, about what people will think when they read it, or even worse, what if no-one bothers to read it?
    Then I get lots of positive feedback, or constructive criticism- which also helps, and I calm down! smile
    But I have to say I think It's ok not to publish things sometimes, for whatever reason, writing is personal to the writer, and sometimes that's the only person whom it's for. Xx

36. I*n*v*i*c*t*u*s profile image60

I hear you, in ways maybe it is good that it is all gone since it is the past, yet I had created a poetry book in my late teens that was full of so much of the changes in my life and also all forms of poetry learned.. it was very sentimental.. that was the toughest.
    I tend to like to reflect on how I've changed too. and maybe those other journal scribbles could of helped to formulate storylines too.. Oh well..

I do believe in keeping notes, too. funny.. I've been gathering all the scraps and stacks to put in a place for reference to it be needed..

I'll come by and see what you have been up to.. I have been out of internet loop for a bit..

See ya.

1. profile image0

bring back his work......... you thief

37. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

The one poem I did publish sits at the bottom of my hubs, so I'm not concerned about it anymore.  I was very hesitant to post that poem, but I'm glad I stepped out of the box and did it.  It was rather healing for me to do so.

38. profile image0

what was the name of the poem, i would like to read it,.

39. M. T. Dremer profile image84
    M. T. Dremerposted 14 years ago

I think all writers have a fear of someone stealing their work at some point. However I don't think there are people lurking out there waiting to steal stories. Sure, good stories will always influence us, but if we accuse people of plagiarizing based on influence then every story for the last few centuries would technically be plagiarism of some kind. Maybe one thing you could try is writing a poem specifically for the public to read. I understand that writing from the heart is part of the process, but so is writing for an audience. Plus, if you write a poem with this in mind, then if it gets bad responses you can always just blame it on trying something new.

I agree that poetry should be heard rather than read. There are ways you can force the reader to read it a certain way (with line breaks and such) but in some cases the work will just have to stand on its own. Often times as writers we will feel the need to defend or explain our writing, but once its out there it is an individual. It stands alone and will be judged alone. Some people will like it, some won't. It's just the nature of the beast.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)