jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Questions for Professional Writers

1. RooBee profile image84
    RooBeeposted 6 years ago

If you work in the field of writing as a journalist, freelancer, technical writer, novelist, editor, WHATEVER - I would be delighted to have you answer any or all of the following questions as they apply to your particular situation.
    I am doing the research for a class project, and you can be totally anonymous if you wish.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to contribute. I really, really appreciate it!!

1.What are the rules and regulations of your job as a writer? Are there hard & fast do's & dont's or do you abide by an unspoken set of guidelines?

2.How much is individual initiative encouraged in your branch of the writing industry? Are you limited by the specific job or is part of your job to infuse your own opinions and ideas into your works?

3.How are you compensated? Are you rewarded for exceptional performance? If yes, how so?

4.Who do you and/or your colleagues admire? Is there a "hero" or "legend" in your field?

5.What are some rites, rituals, or behaviors engaged in by those in your particular field?

6.Is there a general political feel in your workplace or among your contemporaries? Is it conservative, liberal, moderate..otherwise?

7.What are the artifacts you use when working? (I mean things like cartoons or family pictures you might hang in the office, or inspiring works of art, quotations, and so on).

8.Do you experience race/age/gender bias in your profession?

Again, feel free to answer any or all - briefly or at great length. I'll be grateful for any feedback I receive. Thanks again!!!!!

RooBeeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Just once, I swear. smile

2. tantrum profile image59
    tantrumposted 6 years ago

No pros here !

RooBeeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Maybe I should omit that word from the topic... lol lol

3. Sufidreamer profile image80
    Sufidreamerposted 6 years ago

A little too late to answer now, but I will send you a PM tomorrow smile

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 6 years ago

I write regularly for one magazine and frequently for others. A lot depends on the individual editor. For example, one editor I work with a lot is always asking me for ideas about topics. Some editors are not interested in your ideas. Some editors pay extra for rush jobs. Money is another variable. I've been paid from $10 to $375 for single articles, but most assignments fall between these two extremes. I've never experienced any prejudice.

As for payment, I'm usually paid via Paypal - sometimes a couple of weeks after writing the article, and sometimes in advance.

Hope this addresses at least some of your questions!

5. RooBee profile image84
    RooBeeposted 6 years ago

Habee, thanks so much for the great feedback! It's really helpful and very much appreciated!!

Sufi, didn't see the PM so hopefully you will still send one if you have the time. I'd love to hear your input! I'll double check..

To both of you~

6. Sufidreamer profile image80
    Sufidreamerposted 6 years ago

Sorry, I forgot - just sent you the PM smile

7. H.C Porter profile image83
    H.C Porterposted 6 years ago

I will email you my feedback- I answered almost all of your questions and it is a bit long  big_smile
    Please let me know if you dont see it.