jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (17 posts)

Resume Tips?

1. 0
    Crazdwriterposted 6 years ago

I don't know if this is the right palce to ask this but I was wondering if ppl could help me out. Okay I don't really need the tips now but I would love to have them anyways so if you want to email me your tips that would be fine too and I'll save them for later review.

BUT the tips I need are on how to keep a resume to one page since a lot of companies say only one page for the resume but being a military wife my resume is going to be a darn book by the time my husband retires in 14 years so...how do I keep it to one page or do you think schools where I apply to would take a longer resume since I am a military wife and will be moving around a lot?

1. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The page length does matter as far as your employment history goes.  My hubby's was three pages.  The number 1 thing right now is keywords (surprise surprise), HR scans most of their resumes or uses a company that does, the resumes with matching keywords tend to get pulled first & reviewed.

1. 0
        Crazdwriterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

keywords? dang it we just can't escape them now can we? *sigh* lol I'll have to keep that in mind when it gets longer

2. 0
      cosetteposted 6 years ago in reply to this

sometimes you just have to have a 2-page resume, based on your experience and background. the key is to keep it clean and with a lot of white space and a nice big banner at the top, and bulletize your major accomplishments. if you have a 2-page resume, try to keep all of your work experience on the first page and your education and awards on the second page.

1. 0
        Crazdwriterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

thanks Cosette I'll definitely have to check my resume and make sure that it is like that before I look for a new job even now big_smile

3. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think one page is adequate for your profession crazd.
      those reading the resume want to glance at it and see whether to keep it or trash it.
      this hubber has some great hubs on resumes and employment

good luck. smile

2. Mamelody profile image61
    Mamelodyposted 6 years ago

Guess whoz still here.. your spell on me is too strong now i can't leave this dam forum! lol

But generally two pages are acceptable, depending on what job you going for. General rule of writing resumes is always in this format:

1 contact details
    2 Educational background
    3 Employment history

These are the four points most employers look for. All you need to do is summarize to the best of what you've got especially on employment details. I used to work as a recruitment consultant and generally the first thing we look for in a resume is your employment details so make sure you add only whats relevant to what you're applying for and make it as short, brief and powerful so it's eye catching to the employer. I have an unfinished hub about this so you may want to read it in detail when I publish it hopefully tomorrow.

Hope this helps smile

3. 0

hehehe I told you there was no help for you, Mamelody. You're STUCK now lol

And thanks. Not sure if Preschools would accept 2 pages...(preschool teacher here big_smile )
    And I have all of that I guess I just need to take out my skills part or something once I do start having more than 3 places I've worked at on my resume lol

4. 0
    cosetteposted 6 years ago

you're welcome.

i like having a nice heading at the top with my personal info it is with a nice big bold black line under it all, then a bulleted list of "key accomplishments", then the job chronology, then education, awards, additional traiining like Microsoft classes or certificates, etc.

good luck. you'll do great.

5. 0

dang it that means I have to remember what classes I took computer wise? lol thank goodness for my old college stuff hehehe

6. 0

Oh great thanks rebekah I'll have to check out the hubs and hopefully there will be something on there about military wives big_smile and shoot once I get the hang of it maybe i'll post my own hub to let other military wives know, or military husbands, how to handle a resume when moving around a lot.

7. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

also check out Patty Inglish, she also writes a lot about employment, http://hubpages.com/profile/Patty+Inglish%2C+MS

great idea about hubbing about a military wife resume!

8. 0

thanks I'll have to check out hers too...phew! I was trying to think of the best way to go around this..yea I know  I shouldn't worry about it now but I do for some reason LMAO

9. diamondzulusa profile image59
    diamondzulusaposted 6 years ago

make your resume professional

10. ThoughtfulSpot profile image83
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 6 years ago

Crazd - Don't forget to consider your cover letter as well.  You can use that as an opportunity to explain the length of your resume.  (Don't "excuse" it, just "explain" it.  ie - Don't apologize for the length and draw more focus to it, but you could mention something along the lines of "my time as a military wife has allowed me to travel widely in support of my husband and experience many different employment opportunities.")

11. 0

OOO thanks ThoughtfulSpot never thought of having a Cover letter that said something like that before. Great idea. I actually didn't have really a nice cover letter. Guess I need to make one now. smile I am so stealing that sentence from you too hope you don't mind big_smile lol

And umm....diamond no offense but that doesn't help

12. 0
    loriamooreposted 6 years ago

That old rule about keeping a resume' to just one page really isn't applicable anymore now that people are expected to have had 5-7 jobs during their career as opposed to just 1-3.

Take off anything more than 10 years old because it dates you.

Make it a functional rather than a chronological resume' if you absolutely need everything on there and want to fit it on one page.