jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Self Publish

1. MordechaiZoltan profile image73
    MordechaiZoltanposted 6 years ago

Hi! Thanks in advance. Does self publishing a piece of work limit it's ability to be published through more traditional "bricks and mortar" routes?

1. DonnaCSmith profile image84
      DonnaCSmithposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Probably. Mot publishers do not want a book that has already been published elsewhere because the market for the book may have already run its course, so they've lost sales before they even start.

The exception would be that rare occasion when a self-published book is a runaway success.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes.  If you self-publish a novel and it doesn't sell well, you've just proved to the mainstream publisher that it's not going to be a success.  They'll change their tune very quickly if you sell more than 5,000 copies, though.

I wouldn't recommend publishing large tracts of your novel on HubPages or any other site, unless you're seeking critiques (in which case, make sure you're publishing on sites where you can delete them afterwards).

2. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image90
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 6 years ago

99.9% of all traditional publishers and literary agents automatically decline all self-published work without even looking at it.

Any self-published venture with sales below 3,000 copies is usually considered a total failure.

At the risk of self-promotion, my Hub on the pitfalls of self-publishing goes into this subject in detail.

MordechaiZoltanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thank you very much. Is putting a piece of work on hubpages considered self publishing in the eyes of traditional publishers?

1. 0
        Website Examinerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hubbing is self-publishing. For the reasons described in previous answers, it would be unwise to publish as a Hub major parts of a manuscript you intend to present to agents and traditional publishers. Sure, you can publish snippets to get feedback, but other than that maybe better choose some different material for each purpose.

Being a hubber probably won't impress most agents or publishers, the reason being that anybody can become a hubber, and becoming successful here is a matter of hard work and a talent for PR, not proof of literary talent or achievement.

Similar principles go for other venues such as author contests. There are lots of them, but only the prestigious ones will be taken seriously by publishing industry professionals.

3. classicalgeek profile image87
    classicalgeekposted 6 years ago

Actually you can take another route--you can self-publish without the stigma by forming a publishing company and then publishing your book. I just finished a hub about it the other day.

4. Aya Katz profile image89
    Aya Katzposted 6 years ago

There is definitely a stigma attached to publishing through a publishing company that you yourself own. It's kind of like starting your own academic journal and dispensing with peer review.

My first novel was published by a company founded by my father. This sort of publication did me no good, even though there was an ISBN number and all the formalities were met.

5. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image90
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 6 years ago

As already mentioned by others, trying to re-publish your Hubpage material in book format would be pointless.  However, what you can do is, through writing your hubpages, is generate a bit of a following.  If you back this up with a blog and formal website, this will count to what is called a web-presence - ie. a potential market waiting to buy your new novel (for eg.)

MordechaiZoltanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks very  much!