jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (19 posts)

Two potential hubs I've lost

1. 0
    Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago

...because I didn't write the ideas and/or phrases down at the time I thought of 'em!

Does anyone else do that? --have a great line or great idea just before you fall asleep, or while you're busy doing something else, and neglect to jot it down,  then forget later what the heck it was?

1. lovelypaper profile image68
      lovelypaperposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Oh, yeah, I've done that. I try to keep a pad of paper and a pen handy in my purse or next to me. Sometimes I even put paper and pen next to my bed in case I get the muse in the middle of the night!

2. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Constantly.  I think its a sign you're very creative.

1. Sally's Trove profile image99
        Sally's Troveposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree, and add that sometimes there's just too much running around in the head at one time. It's a discipline to sort it all out, let alone to record ideas for future reference.

This feeling hits me especially while I'm in the kitchen, preparing food and listening to the radio. I always have paper and pen handy, but sometimes, seriously, I'm having so much fun talking to myself about ideas that are getting generated by the radio and the food prep that the paper and pen go by the wayside. I've often wondered, if I could put a finished pot of beef marrow soup through an "idea filter", would it show me what I as thinking at the time?

I wonder if something like this strikes a chord with you, Brenda?

What a great thread.

3. alexandriaruthk profile image53
      alexandriaruthkposted 6 years ago in reply to this

yes, what I do when i think of soemthing is to jot them in my notebook even though at times I feel so sleepy and tired and I cant get up,

at times I have difficulty remembering them specially if I sleep and the wake up next day, it happens at times

2. Ivorwen profile image82
    Ivorwenposted 6 years ago

I have had that happen numerous times.  I finally started a blog where I could put any ideas that came to mind, with as much or as little information as I had.  I also keep a pen and note pad by my bed and one in my purse.

On a blog they are easy to retrieve with the right tags ( I use 'article ideas') and hopefully I can get some feedback, before I begin writing.  I also figure that if someone else sees it and decides to use it, they are not going to write the same things I would, so there is no fear of duplicate content.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

There is a simpler solution, if you're online at the time.  Start a new Hub.  It doesn't matter if there's no content - you'll get a flag warning, but it doesn't count if the Hub stays unpublished.

1. 0
        Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I actually just now did that!  I gotta come back later and finish the hub.......

2. Ivorwen profile image82
        Ivorwenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I've done that a number of times too, but found that some ideas were too underdeveloped to ever turn into a hub, at least under the URL I began with, and some are too broad for one topic. 

I found working with these articles frustrating, and the blog to be calming.  Sometimes I find that two or three ideas are on the same line of thought and work together well, where my original idea makes a good illustration, but not a hub.

...but then we are all different.

3. 0

Those are good ideas.
    Thanks Ivorwen.

4. Ohma profile image82
    Ohmaposted 6 years ago

I think about all the things I could write about as soon as I turn off my computer and go to bed.

5. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

I've written entire hubs and then deleted them when I was done writing them. Simply because I didn't like the flow of the hub.

I've done that about 2 or 3 times, so far. smile

6. rmcrayne profile image93
    rmcrayneposted 6 years ago

I started with one "Hub Ideas" document.  I get lots of ideas while I'm at the computer.  I'd open my doc and type in the idea.  Now I have several docs, besides my generic Hub Ideas, I have Music Hub Ideas, Food and Recipe Hub Ideas, etc. 

I usually have a pad and pen beside my bed.  On occasion I have turned the light back on and recorded my ideas.  I had a person in my ADD group who swears by this.

7. Rochelle Frank profile image88
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

I once heard about a writer who was always getting good ideas in a dream. Putting a pad and pencil on the bedstand, he went to sleep repeating the phrase "write it down.... write it down... write it..."

Waking in the middle of the night he hurriedly scribbled a few words and went back to sleep.
    When he read it the next morning it said:
    "Write it down ... write it down... write it..."

1. Preethi Anusha profile image89
      Preethi Anushaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

he he ... funny lol

8. wrenfrost56 profile image82
    wrenfrost56posted 6 years ago

It has happened to me a few times before, now I just have piles of paper lying around and dozens of saved hubs. smile

9. bat115 profile image75
    bat115posted 6 years ago

Whats happens with me a lot is something may sound good in my head but does not work on paper or in a hub.

10. 0

I've had that happen too, bat115...

11. 0

haha "beef marrow soup" through an "idea filter"....that's funny,  and actually a very creative thought in itself!  big_smile