jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (17 posts)

Do Book Reviews make money on Hubpages.

1. SimeyC profile image89
    SimeyCposted 7 years ago

I'm experiment with certain types of Hubs to see what makes money or not - so far my 'Games Cheat' hubs are the most successful.

I've decided to try a different approach and write Book Reviews. The format is simple - a quick synospsis followed by a review of perhaps 300 words.

I list some similar books and the book being reviewed - depending on the book I may link to another hub.

Firstly, do you find Book Reviews are successful?
    Secondly, is simpler better - I could write a 3000+ word hub on each of the books I am reviewing, but feel a quick review is enough.

So far I'm concentrating on the classics, but will eventually go through most of the books I've read....over the years that's about 1000+ books so I'll be creating HUbs for a while yet!!!

2. Wayne Orvisburg profile image79
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 7 years ago

Mine hasn't done squat. But it may be my fault.

3. skyfire profile image72
    skyfireposted 7 years ago

Quick review is always a better choice. But I'm sure that any negative review could damage the sales and any review which is just for the sale will definitely turn off some people.

SimeyCposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks - I'm reviewing books I actually liked - so generally they will be positive reviews!

4. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 7 years ago

I normally like long hubs. In the case of a book review, though, I think 3000 words might give away too much in advance and spoil the actual reading of the book for me.

Exactly - I'm trying to let the reader know what the book is about and then give a general review of the book...let them dicover the rest themselves

5. wrenfrost56 profile image83
    wrenfrost56posted 7 years ago

I am working on a few book reveiws at the moment, as yet I have not got round to finishing them. I think their a good idea, we could compare notes. It would be good to hear what those who have think. smile

6. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 7 years ago

I've only done one book review so far and it gets regular hits daily, however, it does NOT make me any money - no-one's even ordered the book never mind clicked an ad!

7. dohn121 profile image87
    dohn121posted 7 years ago

Good question.  I wrote a few of them and learned these three things if you are planning to make some money from them via Google AdSense:

1)Do your SEO research

2)Know your competition

3)Get ranked high on Google

Well, maybe SEO is the only thing you have to do as the other two will then follow suit.  About 84% of people don't get past page 2 when searching for anything via Google.  All of my book reviews are either on page 2 or 3 and they do get some traffic daily.

In turn, this may help you sell those same books through Amazon...Although I haven't yet with the exception of one lol

Your length is fine smile

8. skyfire profile image72
    skyfireposted 7 years ago

If his reviews are to the point then i doubt he needs to do much SEO. Just few links from other book readers or writers is fine.

1. dohn121 profile image87
      dohn121posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Right, but if he doesn't rank high, no one will find him and he won't make money.   He'll get lost in the shuffle.  Unfortunately internal traffic doesn't make money.  Those actually searching for such books are ready to click and ready to spend.  I noticed too that the book reviews he did are very popular books which means the competition is fierce, Google-wise.

I agree that there is a lot of competition for the ones I've already done and I truly don't expect too much from those even with decent SEO - however, as I move forward and add more and more, mostly on lessor known books I hope to get some traffic to my profile and through to these reviews.

The other thing I am going to do is to create a website which would feature one or two reviews and then categories the rest - so hopefully if this site becomes popular I would begin to get clicks to all reviews....

It's a very long term project of course!

1. skyfire profile image72
          skyfireposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Write reviews and try to get links from places where you can get more traffic/clicks. I just observed this on hubpages that if we just stop writing by fear of competition then hardly we can make money on-line. In short, I like your way of thinking long term.

I do note that I have sold about a dozen books from a couple of other HUbs (top ten type hubs) so I am getting some sales and traffic despite the lack of SEO..

1. skyfire profile image72

Now I have to read some of your reviews, other than classics what other book reviews you prefer ?

2. skyfire profile image72

Well people who know about amazon rarely buy from review site. If there is any link from some blogger or social media person to his hubs. Then chances his hub making sales are more than ranking high on SEO.

Book buyers read reviews from amazon/or respective bookstore site than squidoo or hubpages.

9. lovelypaper profile image69
    lovelypaperposted 7 years ago

I think book reviews would do well because you'll have your Google Adsense ads in relation to other books, also, Amazon. I think it has the potential to be a good earner, but keep it somewhat short so you peek the curiousity of the potential reader of the book you're reviewing.

working