As a writer, would you want your book on Kindle or Nook?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)
  1. M. T. Dremer profile image84
    M. T. Dremerposted 14 years ago

To some people this question might seem like a no-brainer. Of course I want my book on an eReader like Kindle and Nook. It's the future of books and it would get me the greatest exposure.

I must admit that I never really thought about the effects of distributing books digitally until I met Sherman Alexie. An author who refuses to put his books on any eReader. I got a chance to listen to his reasoning and essentially there were two parts to it. The first was a fear of pirating. When music first went digital there was a ridiculous amount of file sharing to the point that it impacted record sales. They've gotten this more under control in recent years, but there would still be pirating on a new product that wasn't provided digitally before.

His second concern was a sort of disconnect with the physical book. He pointed out that often times people will write their own notes in the margins of their books; things that make that object unique to you. I must admit, as a writer, it would be far more gratifying to hold my book in hardcover, rather than a kindle with my book inside of its memory. I can hold a flash drive with my book on it right now, but that doesn't really mean anything. Its the issue of losing that bit of culture that is associated with books. Imagine walking into a library where it's just a series of tables with Kindles attached. No shelves and no books. For anyone who likes to read, it's kind of a disturbing thought. Already our libraries are being taken over by computer labs. It would be a shame to lose the books altogether.

So I'm curious to know how every day writers, ones who haven't yet been published, feel about this eReader movement. Would you let a publisher put you on the Kindle or the Nook, or would you follow Sherman Alexie's example and stand up for the hardcover and the paperback?

1. profile image0
      Rusty C. Adoreposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is an excellent topic for a thread discussion. First of all, I just want to say that I love Sherman Alexie's writing. He is one of my all time favorite authors. Second, I want to admit that I am not a fan of the Kindle and other eReader systems. Right now I have about 5 bookshelves in my apartment that are filled with nothing but books and I love it. I love being able to look at the shelves and know that I have read all those books. I love when people come over and see how many books I own and they mention that it's like I have my own mini library. I think that is a really satisfying comment.

I must admit, the library you mention in the thread... the one that will have only eReaders on tables for people to use instead of shelves of books, scares me. Not only would that just look unbelievably strange, but it would put so many people out of jobs! Libraries will become like ATM machines where you walk up, swipe your card, type in your password and download your book. That's absurd! I hope it doesn't come to that.

2. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

I think it depends on the type of book I was publishing. 

If it was a paper-back type Si-Fi, then I would be happy to have it on an eReader.  Those books get passed around the way it is.  I would guess the 2/3rds of the people who read them never buy them.  They are kind of like romance novels, in that they are one time reads, and then they are passed on. 

A how-to book, on the other hand, ought to be in print, and durable.  They are the type of books where the way they are bound will help to make or break their popularity, and I cannot imagine one on an eReader.

There are many other types of books, that I am unsure how I would want them handled.  Personally, I would rather buy a text book that I could mark up, than have it in a digital format.

1. M. T. Dremer profile image84
      M. T. Dremerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would make the argument that the popular genres, like fantasy and sci-fi, are at a greater risk where eReaders are concerned. As you pointed out, people often exchange these books, but it's limited to that person's circle of friends and family. Imagine sharing your copy with the world. Suddenly a bestseller doesn't even make a blip on the radar and a hard working author gets screwed over.

I'm also going to have to stand up for genre fiction as a whole. Where would the publishing industry be without books like the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter? Not only do these genres constantly match the quality of literary fiction, they have the ability to reach larger markets. They're bestsellers for a reason. And while there will always be books that you read once then pass on, there will also be those that stick with you your entire life.

2. Rafini profile image81
      Rafiniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would prefer the reverse of Ivorwen.  I would rather have a book I am reading in hardcover or paperback, and a How To book on ereader for the ease of printing a page I want to use for a reference or an example.

Personally, however, I would not like to see any books on ereader.  How could it be called a book?  lol  Plus, having only ebooks would limit the number or readers, I think.  I would hate to have to start up my computer just to read a book!

3. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

If I ever managed to write a book, which I doubt I ever will, I would want it issued on paper. I would turn down any arrangement that forced me to make it into an e-book. In my view, to have something published purely in digital form is sending a huge message that it is probably not worth reading.

I will never, ever stoop so low as to buy a digital book reader. YUK!!!!  It would take all the pleasure out of reading. The smell of a new book, the feel of the pages as I turn them, being able to pick up the book and read it anytime and anywhere despite lack of batteries or power.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)