jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

1. 61
    pamelaj102posted 6 years ago

Our days begin at 7am. Always refreshed and happy from a full nights sleep, he comes to me looking for his breakfast. I sit him down in his favorite chair, turn on the cartoons and always remember to ask, "oatmeal or scrambled eggs?" As best he can, his toothless grin impish, he always replies, "oatmeal".

He mimics the cartoon characters as I ready his breakfast. Spoon and cup clatter to the floor. He fusses and I smile and pick them up.

We clean up and dress up putting on our warmest hat and gloves and take our morning walk. This is always a struggle much like a new pup pulling on a leash but we laugh and plow our way through the fallen leaves and are warmed by the sun.

We next play cards. He giggles and I smile. He makes me laugh. This incredible human being is bright, mischievious, happy and at times confused. So many emotions in such a small and fragile body.

We clap our hands and dance in circles. We sit and spin like silly goofballs. With our lunch aside, he will finally fall asleep for a little while. A necessary respite in my otherwise long and arduous day. He will awaken refreshed and will want a sippy cup but logic tells me to give him a straw instead. We will watch funny, too loud cartoons and I will prepare dinner.

At night, when darkness surrounds us, I will tuck him in bed smelling his fresh soap and touching his wrinkly, baby soft skin. I am once again taken back with the love I have for this special person.

"Goodnight" he will say, as he pulls up his covers.

"Goodnight Grandpa" I reply lovingly. "Sweet Dreams."

1. 0
      china manposted 6 years ago in reply to this

nice - is it real or just story ?

2. Ohma profile image81
    Ohmaposted 6 years ago

very nice!

3. 0
    Lecieposted 6 years ago

my dad isn't far from being your grandpa. he still has most of his teeth. but his age is catching up quickly. i imagine it will not be long before i'm doing what you are. by reading this i know you're a special person. you deal with alot but go at it smiling. bravo.

4. 0
    sophsposted 6 years ago

Awwwww that was so lovely Pamela, I love the way you had me trying to guess if it was a child or an old person all the way through. Great writing very touching, you should have made it a hub! smile