jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (11 posts)

I have a question or two about writing your book on hubpages?

1. whooops profile image73
    whooopsposted 7 years ago

Forgive my ignorance but what is the purpose and the advantages or the disadvantages of putting up your book in your hubs or a series of hubs? (Especially for those who have done this firsthand in here)

1. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Advantages: You can determine if your readers like or dislike any part of your book. You can recieve feedback on what you have written. You can monitor your traffic through statistics to see who is generating the traffic.

Disadvantage: Make sure your work is protected because regardless of what you may believe there are always thieves lurking on the horizon who will try to steal your work and you will be filing DMCA complaints for a long time. smile

whooopsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks AEvans, that's what I was afraid of.

1. AEvans profile image70
          AEvansposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I will e-mail you on how you can protect your portions of your book. smile

Thanks!

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
            Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago in reply to this

AEvans, although you can do things like mail yourself copies, there's really no way you can prevent people from copying anything once it's on the internet. 

I agree, feedback is one benefit.  If you've already published it (e.g. on a site like Lulu.com) then posting the beginning somewhere, then posting "tasters" around the net promoting that, can help sales.  I wrote a Hub about it.

2. woodamarc profile image81
        woodamarcposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Much like a review of selected material from a manuscript seeking feedback... I agree this is an excellent ideal to get more feedback, promote ideas prior to writing querys/proposals and such.

I've begun my phase of determining the best way to turn my fitness and pain management secrets into books.  I also worry about copy right infringement. It does help... If you can post your material within websites, date stamped, resource box this is better than not.

If interested in posting some of your book work at hubpages I recommend taking a concept out of your book and expanding on that piece instead of providing an entire roadmap of your book.  Unique concepts can be tweaked significantly and stolen.  Good luck.

2. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 7 years ago

sorry to barge in.
    i posted two mini chapters of my book to see if readers enjoyed it and did receive some excellent feedback.
    posting the entire manuscript, imo, is not recommended.

No need to apologize Twenty One Days, it's just you, me & the thousands of other hubpage writers in here.

No seriously, thanks for barging in. I'll surely be a fan of yours as well as AEvans.

1. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 7 years ago in reply to this

AEvans is a vet compared to me. lol.
        i would trust his/her direction.

I can see that Twenty One Days, thanks.
          Although compared to me, you are also a vet.
          Thanks again!

working