jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Illusions, the adventures of a reluctant messiah

1. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 6 years ago

Has anyone here read this book?

This work of fiction has had the largest impact on my feelings regarding life and spirituality.

The basic premise is that this world we live our lives in is just an illusion, like going to the movies. We pay our admission price by accepting that our experiences here, what we call life, to be real. How could you live a life if your not willing to live it? The profound meaning, God doesn't give two tosses as to what we get up to in our make believe games in this 3 dimensional time space we created for ourselves. Nothing we do here is real, we cannot really be hurt but we can experience it in every exquisite detail or we could choose to experience exquisite joy here if we wish, we are totally free. Why would someone want a painful life, why choose that? Why go to a horror movie? Because you like to be scared. We watch those lifetime movies about the 7 year old girl forced into prostitution by her dad because we want to be moved emotionally, or because we think we can learn something valuable by learning about the darker aspects of the human condition. I used to watch all those kinds of movies, and read all the V.C Andrews books (flowers in the attic, etc) because I liked feeling the way those stories made me feel. Like my heart was breaking with utter sorrow. I do not choose to read those sorts of stories anymore, or watch those movies as I have decided I don't want to feel that way. I watch fantasy stuff mostly now big_smile

I am an adult victim of child abuse, I spent many years angry and hurting, I made more suicide attempts then I could count, I cut  myself for the pleasure of it. I choose to be a different person now and choose to live a different life now. I used to ask, why me, now I don't. I needed something from those experiences and I got what I needed and have moved on. God was not responsible for my abusive childhood, I choose it when I entered this life, knowing that it would teach me just what I was out to learn. This is what I most strongly believe (tho I do have less strong conflicting ideas wink ).

"The world is your exercise-book, the pages on which you do your sums.
    If is not reality, although you can express reality there if you wish. You are also free to write nonsense, or lies, or to tear the pages"
    "In order to live free and happily, you must sacrifice boredom. It is not always an easy sacrifice"
    "Everything above may be wrong!"

1. C.V.Rajan profile image68
      C.V.Rajanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hinduism's maya concept (and Advaita philosophy)  at it's core considers the entire creation is like an illusion, a product of the mind. Everything is transitory, fictitious, impermanent and dream-like. It says the goal of human birth is to transcend all the effects of maya and attain Brahma, the state beyond maya, the inexplicable, infinite, permanent, ever-existing, timeless. And know that it's nothing but the true YOU inside you (Atman).

2. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 6 years ago

CVR, thats pretty cool smile
    I have not had many chances to learn about hinduism so enjoyed your post big_smile

1. C.V.Rajan profile image68
      C.V.Rajanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks! Advaita is one school of philosophy of Hinduism which is considered the pinnacle of truth expounded by Hinduism. Advaita, is an experience and should not be treated as a theory. There are numerous Hindu saints who have had that experience.

Unfortunately, even inside Hinduism, many other sects will not accept Advaita philosophy, and arguments are going on in Hinduism from time immemorial on this matter!