jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

DS Freelance Writing and/or Copy Editing?

1. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 6 years ago

Has anyone written or Edited Copy for Demand Studios?

If you are (or have), is (or was) your experience with the time and effort?

I would be interested in evaluating all opinions.

1. Torch Harrison profile image89
      Torch Harrisonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have written for DS...and it's a lot of time.

$15 articles are 400-500 words...and you have to find sources and resource materials to cite.  Took me about two hours to crank out an article...which was all the time I had to spend on DS per day.  So I was really making $7.50 an hour for writing.  They also have $7.50 and $3.00 articles...much shorter, obviously...but with time spent, you're not really making all that much.  They do have some articles that you can make residuals from, but they tend to be highly technical in nature.  You have to follow their preset formats and god forbid if you use a source they don't like.  I found their copy editors to be...shall we say...rather variable in their decisions?  Only had one rejected article the whole time I wrote for them.  Otherwise, no problem.

On the plus side, when they pay, it's pretty prompt...about four days from the date they accept your article.

That's my take.

2. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 6 years ago

Ready, I don't think they pay much. Check out Constant Content. I wrote a hub about writing for CC. Some of their publishers pay well!

3. readytoescape profile image60

I'll check it out. Some of what have read relays that they pay between $7.50 per "info sheet"(200-300 words) and $15.00 (600 - 800 words)per article. And they pay twice weekly via paypal.

Not Sure about they pay for CE, but you would be very good at that with your background.

1. 0
      cosetteposted 6 years ago in reply to this

that doesn't seem like a lot. may i ask where you read that? it would porbably take an hour at least to write a 33-word 'info sheet', which means your writing is worth 7.50 an hour, and i hate to sound greedy but $15 for an article is chicken feed. i have never heard of them. do they say how much they pay on their site?

4. wyanjen profile image87
    wyanjenposted 6 years ago

I've heard from better writers than me that DS is a great site. I haven't tried to get in with them because I don't have enough experience - they wouldn't let me in the door.

Anyway I wanted to mention that I read an article about Demand Media in Time Magazine...
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic … 09,00.html

5. readytoescape profile image60

Cosette, Sorry I did not respond sooner, I had to go out yesterday afternoon. I can’t remember exactly which site I read the above rates on but there are quite a few “opinion” returns in a Google search. Some call DS a scam others claim to earn 400 to 600 dollars per week.

I asked the question here, because most of the writers in this community are pretty upfront with the truth.

6. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

I signed  up and got approved, but I have a real problem with the titles they have.  I go through them and go through them, and I just find them kind of unbearable.  Maybe it's just where I am at this point in my life (which is essentially beyond wanting to write about stuff I'm not interested in  lol  )

1. TheGlassSpider profile image80
      TheGlassSpiderposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You took the words RIGHT out of my mouth. I've been with them for almost two years but the titles are (at least used to be) just crazy. Although I understand they've expanded quite a bit now.

1. Lisa HW profile image84
        Lisa HWposted 6 years ago in reply to this

TheGlassSpider, that makes me feel a little better.  I just keep wondering if I have some "issue" of some kind that I can't figure out.  lol   Not long ago they sent around an e.mail, saying how their "impossible" titles have changed.  I haven't gone back to look yet.