jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Applying for print publication jobs

1. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

Customizing writing samples so they're in line with a print publication's style and mission

Okay, so I'm learning.  What does this mean?  How do I determine the print publications style and mission?

2. 0
    JeanMeriamposted 6 years ago

The only way to determine that is to read the magazine or whatever and see their style. If you look at any magazine you can get an idea of who it is geared to and how they lure in their readers.
    Cosmo magazine for instance is aimed at a very different group than Lady's Home journal, so the writing styles are very different.

I believe this is what you are aiming for.To fit in.

1. Rafini profile image81
      Rafiniposted 6 years ago in reply to this

this makes sense.  let me see if I get it right.

Okay, the mag is Cosmo so I write an article geared toward the 'peppy in pink' type girl who knows everything there is to know about fashion, makeup etc.

If the mag is Ladies Home Journal I write an article for the woman of the house who has money to spend on remodeling and redecorating her home to read

This is what is meant by style?  I need to do some research and find the mag I can write for!   lol

3. wrenfrost56 profile image82
    wrenfrost56posted 6 years ago

I agree with Jeanmeriam, read previous material from the publictaion. How long are there articles? What kind of language do they use and who are they aimed at? Who are there audience and what age group are they aimed at? That sort of thing. I hope this helps, good luck. smile