jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Flash Fiction

1. abunchoftigers profile image60
    abunchoftigersposted 6 years ago

I'm a brand new hubber, interested in creative writing among everything else.

I wonder what fellow hubbers' opinions are of flash fiction--  very short short stories. I've written a few 100 word fantasy stories which I'm kind of proud of.

I see flash fiction as the most honest form of writing. You distill everything that needs to be said about a topic, a moment in a character's life, that feeling you get when she walks by, and cut out all the fluff.

Wasted words bury us. Captivate me in one brilliant breath of life.

You can't lie in 100 words.

1. Ben Evans profile image75
      Ben Evansposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Silently we wait.
      We are looking from a somewhat obscured vantage point.

There is no chance to rectify the situation.
      We have a few minutes to run once we spot them.
      Alas, no matter how much of a head start we have, they will catch up to us.

Trepidation turns into extreme fear.  The type that eats and tears at your gut.  Punishment will be swift and very harsh.

I turn to my sister and say........

"I see our parents now and we are sure going to be in trouble for the mess we made during the bash we threw."

Flash fiction with a twist with exactly 100 words.   smile

2. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 6 years ago

I use to have a book of mysteries which were only about 2 pages in length. Book size was about equal to 5x7 and a paperback. I loved that book. Twas never returned. sad I think they would do just awesome. big_smile

3. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image90
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 6 years ago

Our writing group, Riverside Writers, had fun recently with a flash fiction project.  Each month we set a project to write a poem or short story on a particular theme.  Our flash fiction theme was "The Literary Chicken", and when we shared our efforts the following month there were some excellent little stories amongst them.

Some magazines like flash fiction as editors find them useful for filling small page gaps.

4. SimeyC profile image87
    SimeyCposted 6 years ago

The challenge was set.

He couldn’t contemplate what he would do or even if he had the opportunity to succeed, all he knew was that he must try. In his existence, nothing had challenged him as much as this daunting task; indeed usually his confidence and ability meant that even the toughest challenge was more akin to a walk in the park, or any other similar cliché you could think of.

Steeling himself, he looked at the task and wondered if it was the same as his normal challenges –alas, this was terrifyingly different, this was the flash fiction challenge…..

(My attempt 100 words exactly)