jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

1. Hoodlum1 profile image60
    Hoodlum1posted 6 years ago

had a very colorful childhood, we were doing things that were to us normal and fun but when I tell me friends now they are amazed and tell me “I should write a book or that should be in a movie”. Being a hoodlum in Long Island NY in the 70’s was crazy and we were the craziest! Since I have no skills as a writer and no money I thought I could tell my stories to a writer and we could make a book out of it and become partners, will this work?

1. angela_michelle profile image94
      angela_michelleposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think that sounds like a really awesome idea. There are some very legitimate sources you can go through like constantcontact.com They hire out freelance writers. Also, you could put an ad in your local paper. I'm sure there is someone out there. Also, don't send out any of your information, until you have a formal contract. So that way you will have something to fall back on if they steal your ideas.

2. Ben Evans profile image74
      Ben Evansposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Any story that you can tell verbally you can write.  Actually it is sometimes better told in your own vernacular.

All of us have a good story to tell. 

I was turned away from writing at a very early age.  I had a teacher in 8th grade who made me not want to write anymore (it is a long story).  I am an engineer by degree and have started writing only 3 years ago.  It is enjoyable and by writing you will learn to write.

If you enjoy telling stories, you will become a good writer.

2. 0
    Lecieposted 6 years ago

this could be a great adventure for you and someone else. if i were you i wouldn't try to find a co-writer on the net though. it's to easy for people to steal your work. i tried to co-write with someone on here and they haven't contacted me since i sent them what i had started. my guess is that's one less story i have now. i suggest you go to your local library and see if they have writing groups. you can sign up and try to find someone trust worthy there. good luck.

3. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image91
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 6 years ago

Editors and publishers are only interested in finished manuscripts, and professional ghost writers (people who'll write your book for you) will expect to be paid as this is how they make their living.

Have you considered taking a creative writing class?  Even if you don't become a writer as a result, you will gain useful insight into the process should you choose to work with a ghost writer later.

Alternatively, you might try approaching a writers' group local to you.  You could ask at your local library, college and bookshops if they know of such a group.