Proofreading Software

1. MordechaiZoltan profile image74
    MordechaiZoltanposted 6 years ago

Anyone have any experience with proofreading software?

2. 0
    Website Examinerposted 6 years ago

Actual experience, no. I did check out some of the leading programs quite recently. A writing sample I entered did not return any positives, i.e. there was nothing to correct.

It was my impression that these automated "editors" try to make one's writing style leaner, which is precisely what human editors tend to do. I looked very carefully at some of their "before and after" examples, at which time I concluded that this type of software is probably best suited for business correspondence, term papers and such - as opposed to creative writing. In fact, I felt that some of the "streamlined" texts one of the leading programs had produced had been stripped off some of their charm, which may not be what a creative writer would want to do.

I'd say this kind of thing could be something to learn from, quite definitely, but hardly something to depend upon.

I use advanced text-to-speech software, which I find very useful in detecting errors, much less strenuous than repeatedly reading the same words.