I'm not finished mine, but I worked my way across the US as a Labor and Delivery nurse, and am working on this book idea in my head that will NOT die. I've finished about half...anyone tried getting published, or are there publishers that people on this site like?
Here is some advice:
- Major publishers usually will not accept work by an unpublished author, only from a literary agent - therefore, you may want to focus on finding one of those;
- Non-fiction is generally believed to be easier to get published compared with fiction;
- Some niche/smaller publishers may accept material submitted directly from you, check out The Literary Marketplace (also a good source for literary agents);
- Given your specialization, consider contacting any professional associations and the like for suggestions and recommendations;
- Beware subsidy publishers, vanity publishers, and fee-charging literary agents. Those are the ones that are most aggressively marketing themselves on the internet, and some writer's sites like writersbeware.org will educate you about them;
- Unless in exceptional circumstances (like somebody famous), nobody is interested in ideas, preliminary drafts and the like. You will need to have your book completed and up to a fairly high standard prior to submission, in which event you will often submit a query letter, synopsis, and the first three chapters. If they want more, they will request it.
Getting published is a long road. Many people here on HubPages end up self-publishing, like through Lulu.com, which you can do for free. But how many books can they sell? You can probably do better by going the long road as described in the above.
Best of luck to you - and welcome to HubPages.
Very good advice Website Examiner. Thats why I love hub pages it's just an overflowing Volcano of knowledge.
Website Examiner gave good advice, but I would modify the first item on that list. Major publishers will and do publish new authors who aren't agented regularly. They don't take unsolicited manuscripts, typically, but a REALLY compelling query letter can get your stuff looked at.
Get it all down on paper first though. And revised. A lot.
There are lots of published authors on HubPages, including many who have just published their first book after being here a short time.
Rod Marsden has a few books published and up on amazon, and a new one out soon I believe. You can read a sample of one of them on his hub.
Dead Man's Stand, Chapter 8 from Disco Evil
Sounds like an exciting story, and he's a great writer, so I've ordered the book.
If it's fiction you have to finish it.
But, if it is nonfiction, you have to have a market. You have to have statistics backing up that market and you have to have established yourself as an expert in that field. But sometimes just a good blog with about 2,000 to 5,000 readers is enough reassurance that your book will be sold.
by Steve Andrews6 years ago
For the benefit and as a warning for all those people here who think that getting a book published by a proper publisher is going to help you make a lot of money and your key to success let me share my recent very...
by ssaffery8 years ago
Greetings fellow hubbers and the entire world of "Internetters",I am seeking a book publisher for my childrens fiction novel. I'd like to know if anyone had a quick turn-around from a publisher they...
by Harvey Stelman6 years ago
I understand that you are not supposed to self promote on Hub, but someone in management said it would be alright. Hopefully my book will inspire other Hubbers to write their own book. Hub can get known as, "the...
by akeejaho9 years ago
Well, this has got to be a first. I signed into HubPages because I needed to prove to myself that I could attract readers. I needed to prove this to myself. I have a few that read my things, and it...
by Amanda Griffin4 years ago
Can anyone tell me why my hub is not getting published? I edited 3 to 4 times and even corrected the grammatical mistakes but still the problem is there. My hub: http://amanda1505.hubpages.com/hub/iPho …...
by Ronwan3 years ago
Hi all,I have been on Hubpages for a while but have found it tough to get Hubs approved.I am dutch so not a native English speaker but on the other hand I don't think my English is really bad. So far I have 1 approved...
Copyright © 2017 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.