jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

favorite non fiction book

1. pisean282311 profile image60
    pisean282311posted 6 years ago

which is ur favorite non fiction book and why..i like to read and would be grateful to know about other's favorite...

1. michifus profile image86
      michifusposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Richard Dawkins is worth a read if you are into science and evolution.
      "The Blind Watch Maker" is particularly good, however if you live in the bible belt it will just annoy you.

A concise History of the Spanish Civil War - Paul Preston - But you need to have an interest in it to get through it.

Other notable historical books are "the age of" series  - "The age of Empire" and "the age of revolution", I forget the authors.

If you prefer a little lighter reading, then "Playing the Moldovans at Tennis" by Tony Hawks is a good humorous book.

Naturally I highly recommend my hubs as the best works of non fiction ; )

2. calpol25 profile image76
    calpol25posted 6 years ago

Ann Frank, its history and its true, it tells the life of a young girl who kept a diary whilst her and her family hid from the gestapo in Amsterdam, until they were caught and deported to the concentration camps in the second world war.

1. michifus profile image86
      michifusposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Ahh yes, forgot about that one. Brilliant book

3. aka-dj profile image79
    aka-djposted 6 years ago

"How to win friends and influence people", by Dale Carnegie.
    Actually, many Hubbers could do well to read that one.big_smile

4. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 6 years ago

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson  - an entertaining look at how the Earth and it's inhabitants came to be.

P.S. - It took longer than 6 days.

5. Shadesbreath profile image89
    Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago

The History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides

1.  I like history
    2.  I like action and war and battle stories
    3.  I like philosophy and political intrigue
    4.  I like stories that are written in plain language
    5.  I like to read things that give incredible insight into humanity.

This book changed my understanding of how "modern" I thought we are today.  It has given strength to my conviction as someone who can't buy into modern religion by showing how these incredible thinkers 2500 years ago were having the same argument about their gods that we have about ours (the same arguments about the death penalty, about war, about everything...).  It has incredible battles, discussed strategically, histories of the debates that preceded the decision to go to war.  The arguments of amazing leaders like Pericles, the likes of which we haven't seen ... in a long, long time.

It's just a great, great read.