jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Writers magazines, any good?

1. wrenfrost56 profile image82
    wrenfrost56posted 6 years ago

I came across one today called mslexia aimed at women, I know there are others. In your opinion are they helpful, worth a read and would you recomend any?

1. angela_michelle profile image95
      angela_michelleposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm curious about this as well.

2. 62
    foreignpressposted 6 years ago

I stopped reading "writer's magazines" a long time ago. The same information is merely rehashed in a different way.  Also, the information is too generalized. Instead, find other resources and apply them to your task. For example, I'm writing a screenplay about mercenaries who are paid by a megacorporation to rescue hostages. My research is specifically geared to that end. Whether it's poetry, fiction, non-f, whatever, you need to know your subject -- as detailed as possible. Writer's mags are good for libary reading and not much else.

3. MickS profile image77
    MickSposted 6 years ago

I long ago gave up buying Writing Magazine, to me it was turning into a womans magazine, even the shops were displaying it on the 'women's interest' shelves.  This weekend I went into my local newsagent, there was Writing Magazine next to the photography magazine I went in for.  It had two pics of men on the front, has it changed its ways.  I bought it on impulse, took it home, no different than before, the only bit worth reading was a half page article by Gordon Wells: Sell Your first Article.  The Idea. first of six.  As much as I like Gordon Wells, I doubt that I will buy the next 5 issues.  £3.70 a go for half a page each time? nah.