What Books Have You Read Thus Far This Year?

Jump to Last Post 1-44 of 44 discussions (60 posts)
  1. torimari profile image68
    torimariposted 13 years ago

So, we've been living 2010 now for almost 6 months.
    I'm a considerable book-a-holic and find it always interesting to see what I've read throughout a year.

---------------------------------
    Anyway, what books have you read so far this year?
    What were your feelings on them?
    Do you have a list or idea of what books you'd like to read this year?
    ---------------------------------

For me, I've read half of Dicken's "The Curiosity Shop." I found it too dry to finish, so I moved onto my friend's favorite book by Poppy Z. Brite, "Lost Souls."

It was about teenage vampires, but a lot darker (and far kinkier) than that Twilight series.

Currently, I am reading Nabokov's "Lolita," which is great but makes my skin crawl.

Next, I intend to read Hemingway's "Farewell to Arms."

So what about you? Any recommendations or don't-bother-reviews?

1. Habby profile image60
      Habbyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

torimari, GREAT question!  I am a former English teacher, who still loves to read and write.  So I am constantly doing both.  smile

As for books, I've read _The Birth Order Book_ by Kevin Leman.  Fascinating stuff and not all completely intuitive.  He's done some research and has some interesting different parameters for determining why you are the way you are.

I also tried to read _Gilead_ by Marilynne Robinson.  I gave it the 50-page try, but it just never clicked for me.  It's written as one long letter (although not formatted that way), so you'd think I could get into it.  But I didn't.  Interestingly, my mother-in-law and husband both enjoyed it. 

A couple of others I REALLY enjoyed: _The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society_  by Mary Ann Shafer and _Jack and Rochelle: A Holocaust Story of Love and Resistance_ by Jack Sutin.

Both of those are set in WWII and are different stories, the first being fiction and the second being an autobiography.  But I couldn't put either one down.

Currently, I'm reading a book on how to compose pictures and also another book by Kevin Leman _How to Make Children Mind Without Losing Yours_.  Great title!!  smile

I realize all the books I mentioned were recommended to me.  So I guess I'm open to hear more. 

Also, I LOVE to read the classics.  So let me know about _Farewell to Arms_.

2. profile image0
      philip carey 61posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like the classics too, but they take patience. I'm reading Middlemarch by George Elliot right now. It's a fantastic book, but you have to pay close attention to connect all the characters and keep track of who is speaking about whom. Elliot clothes her thoughts in some of the most beautiful sentences you'll ever read. You just feel a sort of "yes, that's how it is!" after some of them.

I'm thinking of reading something contemporary or not so lengthy after finishing Middlemarch, not sure what though. First things first.

torimariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Never read anything by George Elliot. I'll have to look into it. Classics do take patience; some are dry and some, like it sounds like you are reading, are rich in text and need more time to appreciate the language.

Alison-It's ok. I read Dracula when I was 20/21...being a lover of Gothicism and vampires I was a little disappointed in it. I knew the story but Stoker's writing was a little...bland. :s

2. torimari profile image68

Sounds like some great books~I'll have to look it up.

I love classics, but I'm way to cautious of newer fiction. I think it is because when I have read bestsellers they have been...mediocre--in recent years.

So, newer book recommendations are appreciated.
    Looks like you've definitely surpassed my amount of books so far...I'm a lazy reader that thinks too much so I take too long to finish books. x)

3. hoodieweather profile image61
    hoodieweatherposted 13 years ago

Hemingway's "A Farewell To Arms" is one of my favorite books. smile

4. emmajayne89 profile image56
    emmajayne89posted 13 years ago

I have read and reread 'The Book Thief'. A truly magical book that speaks of growing up in Germany and the love that four people can have for each other and how it grows through hardship. If you haven't read it, it really is a must on anyones list.
    I have also read quite a lot of Huxleys work and would recommend that to get a taste of his disturbing view on society.
    I would love to hear what your favorite books are!
    smile

1. Polly C profile image91
      Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've read that too, an amazing book smile

2. torimari profile image68

Disturbing look at society? You had me at disturbing. I'll definitely look at 'The Book Thief' too. Seems like you and Polly had great reviews so why not. :B

My favorite books are The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Hugo), LOTR trilogy (Tolkien), As I Lay Dying/The Sound and the Fury (Faulkner) and Equus (Schaffer).

Good to see this thread picking up. I felt there wasn't enough book discussion on a writing site, so wee. smile

5. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Sadly,(as in im ashamed) i just finished the latest S-Stackhouse/TrueBlood Book

Dead in the family

prior to that:

paolo coelho "The Pilgrimage"
    walter moers "The 13 1/2 lives of Captain Bluebear" (Adams meets Rowlings meets Vonnegut)

Piers Anthony "macroscope"

something by Carlos castaneda

and another 30 or so I cant recall - Im on a reading diet this year

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

No new books - no candy for me lol

7. Gemska profile image59
    Gemskaposted 13 years ago

Currently I'm on the second book of the Millennium trilogy - The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson. 

Prior to that The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve and How to Talk to a Widower by Jonathan Tropper.  All good.

8. profile image0
    gulnazahmadposted 13 years ago

I have just completed To Kill A Mocking Bird and before it I read The Time Travelers Wife.

9. Ladybird33 profile image68
    Ladybird33posted 13 years ago

I just finished the JR Ward "Black Brotherhood Dagger" vampire series, 8th book I just finished and are they hot and good!!!! I love to read and I have books all over the place...

10. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

lol
    I have seen that book, but don't remember what it is about.

I have that book also! he does have some great insight and tips.

I haven't read as much this year, but have quite a few going at the same time.
    re-read The Omnivore's Delimma- Michael Pollan [excellent book about our food/food industry]
    Loving Frank- Nancy Horan [about Frank Lloyd Wright and the woman he loved]
    a couple job/career related books by Robin Ryan that were excellent
    Anastaisa- Megre [interesting book about a girl who lives in the Siberian forest, part of the Ringing Cedars Series]
    Organic Housekeeping- Ellen Sandbeck I know it must sound incredibly boring, but it's very informative and has enlightened me a lot about the toxins in our everyday life. working on a hub in regard to children and keeping them safe.

often I pick up books I've already read and read parts of them again. too many to name.
    I love books, sometimes I buy them just because I like the cover or title. big_smile

11. Alison Graham profile image93
    Alison Grahamposted 13 years ago

This year, I have read Julie Walter's Autobiography 'That's another story', (I really admire her), Simon King's Autobiography 'Wildlife'(the wildlife photographer), Bram Stoker's 'Dracula' (can't believe I had never read it before) and am currently reading 'The Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova.

12. jenblacksheep profile image67
    jenblacksheepposted 13 years ago

I was reading books that have films based on them, so I read:
    The Motorcycle Diaries by Che Guevara
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson
    I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke (which is a children's book, but still excellent).

More recently (on my mum's suggestion) I read:
    The Information Officer by Mark Mills
    1688 by John E. Wills
    Frenchman's Creek by Daphne Du Maurier
    The Conqueror series by Conn Iggulden
    All of which I've been writing hubs reviewing.

Also, I bought the 100 Classic Books 'game' for my DS and read Robinson Crusoe from that. I want to read a lot of classics but they are so daunting on a DS because you only get like 20 words on a page. Perhaps I'll give something like Middlemarch a go though, although at the moment I've still got 4 books on my 'to read' pile.

13. bojanglesk8 profile image60
    bojanglesk8posted 13 years ago

Sadly, none.

14. pisean282311 profile image63
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

quiet a few autobiography of mahatma and abdul kalam , five point some one, what ur doctor doesnot know , vivekanands to name few...

15. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Currently reading:  The Most of P.G. Wodehouse

Last ones:

Nick Flynn, Another Bullshit Night in Suck City - This one is REALLY good. I highly recommend it.

Jalal Toufic, Distracted. - This guy is very clever.  He's like a Steven Wright that's read too many books.  One line that sticks in my head is, "For the blind, everything that is not an edge is an abyss."  Good stuff.

Canyon Sam, Sky Train - This one is why I wrote that trademark hub lol.  Good story once she stops talking about herself.

Fernando Pessoa, The Book of Disquiet. - One of the best books I've ever read.  Totally awesome.  I plan on hitting this for ten or fifteen minutes before I write sometimes, just to slow myself down.  He reminds me of Cormac McCarthy in his pacing.

Seth Godin, Free Prize Inside: How to Make a Purple Cow- Marketing book I got turned on to.  Quick read, good stuff to think about.

Annie Dillard, For the Time Being - really cool assembly of ideas and narrative technique. Good read.

Eula Biss Notes From No Man’s Land Some good stuff, some sort of liberal preachy parts.

Eudora Welty, One Writer’s Beginning Good story, a little dry, but worth the read.

Lyn Hejinian, My Life - Meh, not into this style, but some of the lines were clever, just enough to keep you going. Read it out loud to my wife and daughter so we could have fun with the randomness.

Carole Maso’s Break Every Rule Read half... hit the wall on a some experimental stuff, haven't picked it back up yet. ... there's a couple of other's I started and didn't finish too Milosz's ABC book and a Neruda memoir that was great, but just wasn't into it.

1. platinumOwl4 profile image73
      platinumOwl4posted 13 years agoin reply to this

My most recent book was the Alchemist and I enjoyed by Paulo Coelho.  I think it is a great book. I am currently reading The History of the Conquest of Mexico and Peru. It will take awhile along with your list. Thanks again. Oh! the author of the latest book is Williams H. Prescott. Mr. Prescott died in 1859 so, I imagine the books was printed some time during the 1840's it's that old.

16. profile image0
    Keatonposted 13 years ago

I've read CS Lewis's Space Trilogy--Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and that Hideous Strength.

Then there's Swallow's of Kabul, by Yasmina Khadra

Anthem, by Ayn Rand

And right now I'm reading The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

17. cocopreme profile image89
    cocopremeposted 13 years ago

I've read Northanger Abby, Mansfield Park, and Persuasion by Jane Austen.  Though they were good, I can see why they are the lesser known of her works. 

Right now I am reading Dune.  I'm only a few chapters in, so I haven't formed an opinion yet.

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought Mansfield Park was awesome.  The other two, are okay.  Have you read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies?  That's a hoot, especially if you get the edition with the color plates.  I lol'ed a lot reading that.

Dune is a good story, but the writing is pretty bad IMO. I had to push past some parts.  Worth it though, cool world.

18. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I'm working my way through Dickens.

19. profile image57
    patspnnposted 13 years ago

The books I have read since the beginning of the year are Seraph of The Swanee by Nora Zeale Thurston, The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler, Beloved by Toni Morrison and Forex Made easy

20. WYVRENKNIGHT profile image61
    WYVRENKNIGHTposted 13 years ago

I read about three books a week. Mostly sci-fi and fantasy.

21. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Shadesbreath, I enjoyed the Dune movie. I never read the book, so I do not know about it. But, the movie was fantastic. smile

My father has always been utterly obsessed with Dune. He claims its better than Star Wars, and the 80s move was interesting. I need to read it since my father has literally a shelf of multiple copies of the 6-7 books from the series...I'm flooded with it...I'll tell you how it is if I read it. ;D

Wow, some people have long lists already and its only been half a year...I've read like, 2 books fully. Doh.

22. CaribeM profile image69
    CaribeMposted 13 years ago

Hello  to all, many of the books mentioned here I don't know, but I will check them for sure.

Here some of the ones that I have read this year: "The Normal and the Pathological" ((philosophy and history of medicine) by Geoges Canguilhem; "Red Dust" (novel) by Ma Jian; "Down Time:Great Writers on Diving" various authors; "Western Attitudes toward Death: From the Middle Ages to the Present" (History) by Philippe Ariès; "On the Treatment and Management of the More Common West-India Diseases 1750-1802" ed, J Edward Hutson; "Traditional Chinese Culture" by Zhang Qizhi; "The Expressiveness of the Body and the Divergence of Greek and Chinese Medicine" by Shigehisa Kuriyama.

Can we make a book club? Maybe that will encourage me to read more literature. wink

How was that one on Western attitudes about death?

1. CaribeM profile image69
        CaribeMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is a classic in the topic and a quite good one indeed. Aries describe and analyze the various and changing views on death in Western (mainly Europe-France) societies. He contextualizes those views and changes and explores how they helped to develop new practices and socialization patterns.

I just put it on my list.  Thanks.

2. Dolores Monet profile image95
      Dolores Monetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A HubPages book club is a very cool idea. Do you mean that people all read the same book and discuss? Or just quick reviews of what they have read? Or both.

Am now reading T.C. Boyle's 'the Women,' about Frank Llyod Wright. Boyle is a master of the interesting sentence and quirky simile.

3. profile image0
      Slocolaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Currently devouring Stieg Larsson's "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest" to complete the trilogy; finished Ian McEwan's "Solar" and enjoyed it enormously although it took me a few moments' reflection to understand the ending.  "That Old Cape Magic" (Richard Russo) was a pleasant read, and "The Guernsey Literary And Potato Peel Pie Society"  became a welcome Christmas gift to several friends last year, everyone praising the work.  I'd be interested to join a HubPages Book Club to discuss specific books.
      -Slocola

23. USMCwifey09 profile image63
    USMCwifey09posted 13 years ago

Things I've Been Silent About : Azar Nafisi

24. blue parrot profile image61
    blue parrotposted 13 years ago

I think the greatest and the best modern writing was done in Spanish by the contemporaries of Picasso, MirĂł, DalĂ­ and in fact (to give you an idea) most reminiscent of The Girl at the Window by DalĂ­ representing a deep, distant, yet haunting beauty.

The most famous of these is certainly "100 years of solitude", but that is similar to DalĂ­'s more crazy pictures, not good for beginners.

The author is Gabriel Marquez. His best novel is Chronicle of a Death Foretold. I think it is the 20th century second best novel, preceded on the number 1 spot by

La familia de Pascual Duarte by Cela.

Cela received the Nobel prize late when he had stopped caring and was even employing ghost writers to publish any kind of mix. But when he was young, maybe about 25, he wrote like an angel, a very dark angel, maybe the angel that knew he was going to become famous only as the Fallen Angel.

What I don't know is what the English translations are like.

Both these novels are very short, maybe 100 pages, maybe less.

25. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image87
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 13 years ago

So far this year I've read 19 books; on usually read between 35 and 40 a year.

This year I've been reading some children's fiction, and have enjoyed the series by Gordon and Williams - "Tunnels", "Deeper" and "Freefall."  Also highly recommeded is Helen Dunmore's "Ingo" which is a beautifully crafted children's novel.

26. jenblacksheep profile image67
    jenblacksheepposted 13 years ago

I have another book to add: Devil Bones by Kathy Reichs.

My next book I think will be Life of Pi. Then I have Memoirs of a Geisha and Empress Orchid. At the weekend my mum is bringing me some more books and I should also have a bash at another classic. Gna be kept busy for a while!

27. megs78 profile image61
    megs78posted 13 years ago

the Outlander series.  Uther.  High Places (again)  I read whatever i can get my hands on in English.  Usually my dad sends me a box once a year because getting english books where i live is too expensive.  But i read ALL the time.  it drives my hubby nuts smile

28. ptosis profile image66
    ptosisposted 13 years ago

I read about 3-4 books a week so I can't remember them all without looking up my library record. This week - and this one made me laugh OUT LOUD - truly is  "Tales from a recovering slut" 

Since wrote about my hubpage on soiciopaths - I was watching all the movies that starred them, Robert Mitchum's "Hunter of the Night", "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer," 1986, 'No Country for Old Men"
    and 'Monster' (2003)Based on the life of Aileen Wuornos, -

1. Dolores Monet profile image95
      Dolores Monetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

pt - such a good idea but kind of creepy - and the Robert Mitchum movie is 'Night of the Hunter,' a truely scary movie

29. starqueen13 profile image61
    starqueen13posted 13 years ago

ive read my friend's book she wrote, but since its not published i dont know if it counts lol

30. torimari profile image68

Haha, I think I've kinda given up on "Lolita." I have less than 100 pages left, but it has been more painful than I originally thought.

However, I started reading "Dune" a few days ago, and I think this will got a lot more smooth. I'm not a sci-fi person, but this might change my mind. I've always been wanting to read it.

Dolores, I think all of your suggestions for the book club sound great! We should choose a book, give an amount of time to read it, and discuss.

31. David Stone profile image72
    David Stoneposted 13 years ago

My favorite for this year is Gail Collins "When Everything Changed," about the Women's movement. I read her columns in the Times several times a week and look forward to this one. Not as funny as the columns, but engaging and informative.

I also unfortunately plunged all the way through Bruce Lipton's Biology of Belief, a book in which he stirred my imagination in the first half, then destroyed his credibility in the second. Strange.

More recently, I finished Jerry A. Coyne's Why Evolution Is True, a great nonprofessionals guide on the subject.

I wrote hub reviews on all three books, but I've found that book reviews don't draw many readers, so they may be my last.

I tend to spend more time writing than reading, since I'm in dead tree publications as well. I recently reread one of my own novels in preparation for a second printing–The Garden of What Was and Was Not, if that counts.

How you described that Biology of Belief book was definitely intriguing, hmm. Yea, I have one book review and it doesn't seem to do well.

Honestly, Amazon kills online book reviews because I usually, myself, go to the site to see a book rating and opinions. Doh.

Hmm, dead tree publications? The name interests me.

32. lorlie6 profile image74
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

I've been on a Steinbeck rereading kick...Cannery Row, Sweet Thursday, and just the other day finished The Grapes of Wrath.  My God, they're so worth a second look!
    One current novel I adored is The Help by Kathryn Stockett.  I grew up in the 60's and was raised by an African-American 'maid.'  This story left me breathless.

33. torimari profile image68

Almost 100 pages into Dune. Awesome. My dad has like 50 copies of each Dune book. I see why I think.

34. Back profile image59
    Backposted 13 years ago

I've read at least two books by Peter David, at least one book by William Shatner, one by Gene Simmons, one from some popular cowboy series and no doubt at least one more I cannot recall.  I have been so busy with paid writing gigs that I have not been able to finish the three other books i am reading right now.

35. Anita_Lumley profile image71
    Anita_Lumleyposted 13 years ago

Yay! Love to discuss books. I've only read a few books so far this year, but they were fantastic.

I'm from Missouri, so I checked out "Winter's Bone" by Daniel Woodrell. Woodrell is a promising novelists. If you like Faulkner, you may enjoy Woodrell; he reminds me of a very young Faulkner still honing his skill for writing.

I fell in love with Cormac McCarthy after reading "The Road" last year. This year, I've begun to dig into his other books: "All the Pretty Horses", "Child of God", and "Blood Meridian".

I'm currently reading "Blood Meridian".

Fantastic thread!

36. profile image0
    BelievingMotherposted 13 years ago

hmmm. . . I've re-read "Eclipse" this year - mainly so I can criticize the film better big_smile

I then read "The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner" also by Stephenie Meyer and found it short and sweet and keep raving about it!

I just finished "The Sky is Everywhere" and loved it! I read it in about a day and a half - I couldn't put it down! The emotions discussed and complexity of the protagonist's situation was fascinating to explore.

37. Romance Reader profile image61
    Romance Readerposted 13 years ago

Well...lets see...this weekend I sr=tarted reading the anita blake series by laurell k hamilton...the laughing corpse...and circus of the damnned and luantic cafe...then i skipped to book 10 which is a bit more of a porno then a mystery...but the earlier books were really good. I also read the darkest passion and darkest lie by gena showalter...her lords of the underworld series is AWESOME! I think im gonna have to go check out tales from a recovering slut after reading this forum though

38. Jael Turner profile image59
    Jael Turnerposted 13 years ago

Fortunately or unfortunately, I have been reading my own books for the last year and a half to improve on them and get the "bugs" out. I am even writing one with Mark Twain as a central character in the Hub pages to promote my other books.

Prior to that my favorites were Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House, John Fowles's The Magus and The French Lieutenant's Woman, and The Talented Mr. Ripley.

The first three are just very well written and tight. The last one surprized because I was rooting for the psychopathic murderer throughout, although I could stand it if he murdered Marge Sherwood, who was probably the only sympathic characters, besides Tom, the murderer. jael

39. SaMcNutt profile image61
    SaMcNuttposted 13 years ago

6 months is along time to think back on, actually its seven now. Let's see...

"I Capture the Castle" by Dodie Smith. A great coming of age story set in England. Dodie Smith authored the book "101 Dalmations," which I didn't make the connection until I read this book.

The whole Twilight Series again. I couldn't help myself. It went against my better judgement.

"Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" Clever and entertaining. Not sure I would read it twice, but great the first time.

Started "Lord of the Rings" again and finished "The Fellowship of the Ring." I was ready too many different books at the time that I got distracted.

I read the first two books of the Dark Tower series by, Steven King. I never considered myself a Steven King fan, but I appreciate his body of work. I once read "It" and it was difficult to read anything by King after that. Hated "It."

"Evelina" by Frances Burney. Really sweet book. I can see the influence on Jane Austen's writing, especially in the character of Willoughby.

"Screenplay" by Syd Field. I really enjoyed Fields approach to the screeplay form, but I think it could also be apllied to writing a novel or such. Great resource.

There are so many books I've started that I hope to finish the rest of this year. I loved reading about other books people are reading so I can put them on my list.

40. rugsforall profile image60
    rugsforallposted 13 years ago

This year has all been childrens books for me, my little boy (20months)has developed a healthy appetite for reading so I'm enjoying going over some of my old favorites.

So far the highlight has been "Robinson Crusoe" by Daniel Dafoe, not really the light reading that I thought I remembered it to be.

1. SaMcNutt profile image61
      SaMcNuttposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Esp. the cannibalism part. Good thing he converted Friday.

41. johnnie r profile image59
    johnnie rposted 13 years ago

I just finished reading "My Name is Will" and it's a romp of a frolic. Before that, I read "Tristram Shandy," which I found absolutely hilarious. I've also read three books by Irvine Welsh, two by Patrick McCabe and "Sputnik Sweetheart" by Haruki Murakami. You can't go wrong with any of these.

42. Sunny_S profile image60
    Sunny_Sposted 13 years ago

The four hour workweek by Timothy ferriss is quite a good read and also Vagabonding by Rolf Potts.

43. profile image0
    TransScribblerposted 13 years ago

Wow! There is a great variety of genres and authors listed here! It is always good to hear what others are reading, and what they think of it.
    So far this year I have (re)read a lot of old favourites. To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee), A Moveable Feast (Hemingway), My Family & Other Animals (Gerald Durrell).
    On the new or first time front, Writing Your Life (Patti Miller), Further Than Night (Earl Livings), Great Expectations (Dickens), and Skin & Other Short Stories (Roald Dahl)were all good reads.
    Not a complete list, but these are the titles I have read that come instantly to mind. Maybe I should start writing down what I read?
    Happy reading all!

44. Paradise7 profile image70
    Paradise7posted 13 years ago

Most recently I've read (today, as a matter of fact) "The Pianist" by Wladyslow Szpilman, the Polish (and Jewish) classical concert pianist who survived the German occupation of Warsaw during WWII.  Riveting, absolutely couldn't put it down until I finished it.  It makes what we're going through here in America look like a piece of cake.  And makes me more and more grateful for the amenities, comforts, safety and freedom I presently enjoy.

I found two new authors this year:  Stephanie Meyer, who wrote the "Twilight" series, and Stieg Larsson, who wrote "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)