jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (16 posts)

Need advice...thinking of quitting

1. emievil profile image84
    emievilposted 6 years ago

As some of you probably know, I've been writing on an academic site for almost one and a half years now. I am very much aware (and some people have pointed this out) that this is actually a dilemma or an ethical problem.

Well I've been thinking about this and I've realized that I am gradually stepping back from academic writing and moving on to other online work. And I'm actually thinking about quitting academic writing! On the one hand, the pay is good. On the other, there's the ethical dilemma plus I'm starting to lose my drive on this aspect of writing.

anybody can give me advice on this?

2. Daniel Carter profile image91
    Daniel Carterposted 6 years ago

In the end, if you don't do what you really love, you'll wish you did.

At this point in my life, I'm finally paying more attention to that, and wished I would have started much earlier. I took on a lot of things for money and to support a family, not because I loved doing them.

Whatever brings you passion, excitement and drive is where you should be headed. You are a great writer. Whatever you love to do with it is where you need to go. The rest will work out.

3. 0
    ralwusposted 6 years ago

follow your love

4. Robert A. Harris profile image60
    Robert A. Harrisposted 6 years ago

I agree with Daniel, you gotta go after what you love [your passion] don't waste time with things that don't drive you from within, it will only make you unhappy.

5. wrenfrost56 profile image82
    wrenfrost56posted 6 years ago

I think if you can live without the money from the academic work and it does not make you happy, than quit.

6. Beth100 profile image84
    Beth100posted 6 years ago

Follow what makes you happy and satisfied.  Follow your heart, you won't go wrong.

7. thranax profile image59
    thranaxposted 6 years ago

Only do things you don't like for other people or to survive yourself.You need to pay for your family and yourself to live. If you have the option of doing something you like but can still get by, do it!

8. Research Analyst profile image80
    Research Analystposted 6 years ago

I would suggest that before you make such a major decision that you have a replacement or alternate plan of action so that you will not be hit as hard from the financial loss.

Now that you realize that academic writing is not something you want to continue to do, then look for something that is comparable that you love to do and get established doing that first before you end the other skill so that you will have a smoother transition.

9. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

I say do what is in your best interest and that is going to make you feel happy. smile

10. 0
    Kathryn LJposted 6 years ago

Sometimes we have to dance with the devil to survive.  I'm guessing that your ethical dilemma is academic writing which will be used by others?  If so, I can see why you would want to quit.  Life would be easier if we could make a living doing what we love.  Only you know what you can do.  Whatever you decide, it will be right for you.  Keep plugging away and you'll make it!

11. Shadesbreath profile image89
    Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago

Eat first, have morals later.

If you can do both at the same time, well, even better.

1. 0
      Justine76posted 6 years ago in reply to this

smile   how bad do you want to be be a "starving artist"?

But if you can let it go, and you dont like it, let it go. sorry your having a dilemma Emie, Ill try to send you some cookies.

Guess what? My barn is all cleaned out, now we need to repair it, and then get goats!

12. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

only you can decide what you want to do.  it isn't up to anyone else.  What is it you really want to do about it?

13. emievil profile image84
    emievilposted 6 years ago

Well, wasn't able to come back and read all the posts. Took me this long to get back online.

Thank you everyone. I guess I have some more thinking to do. It's just an extra income for me but a good one at that. Pretty hard choice but I know I have to make one in the near future.

Hey DM, thanks for the cookies. Hope you can post some pictures of those goats, alive that is big_smile.

14. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

I wouldn't presume to offer advice, and I pretty much agree with people who have said you have to do what's right for you (and what feeds your family, if that's an issue). 

I've been approached about academic writing.  I know the "ethical dilemma".  For me, though, another aspect is the thing about putting in the kind of effort involved and not getting credit for it.  If I'm going write other people's papers I want whatever degree(s) those papers contribute to earning.   lol  I'm "selfish" that way.  smile

15. torimari profile image80
    torimariposted 6 years ago

I would not want to have my name connected with academic writing nor waste my talents without being given credit. Yes, I've been tempted by that world, but alas, it's not just the ethics, it's for my own well-being. Word gets around, sooo...I'd get out of it for your own good, and happiness. smile

Move on, and write for you, or do some real Academic Writing and get it published...could help with getting into a Master's or some kind of certification program. You never know!