jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Please help me find my style...

1. Tranita profile image60
    Tranitaposted 6 years ago

Ok. I've noticed that it seems that everyone who comments on my hubs or sends me fanmail say the same thing. "Your style of writing is different" or "Its interesting, haven't seen it before." Well I want to know what everyone means by that. Is it so unique that if you saw it mixed in with other writings you would be able to tell that it's mine? or does it all sound the same(like me) when you read different ones? I just want some feedback on all of it. So take a look and let me know. Please. Because eversince I started Hubbing it's been on my mind.

1. thooghun profile image86
      thooghunposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I wouldn't worry about it too much, with enough practice writers will tend to develop a distinctive style of writing. It's part of the attraction. I struggled for years to sound like a favorite writer of mine, a fruitless and pointless process that cost me a lot of pain and time. Whether you like it or not, whether you write about children's toys or chainsaws, you'll always be you. And you're better off being you -- if you fake it, people will see right through you.

Being different is huge advantage, and possibly the best compliment a writer can get (unless they're politely critiquing your grammar...)

Tranitaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't want to write like anyone else or anything, I just want to know what people see when they see my writing. for instance when i read some Langston hughes I know its him.

1. Rafini profile image81
          Rafiniposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That's probably what they mean.  I had a similar experience years ago at a job where I typed the weekly department meetings.  Many people said they liked my writing style - I had no idea what they meant!  I asked and asked until I found out this:

It's the words you choose and the way you use them. smile  It's good to be unique.

Tranitaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks. This helped a little

2. zanfad profile image61
      zanfadposted 6 years ago in reply to this

If you're doing your job as a creative writer, then your style will be as distinctive as you are, and won't need a name outside your own. Langston Hughes is immediately recognizable because his poetry is him. Let your words be you, and work to make them sound like music. I never liked categories, anyway.

2. 0
    Gracie Sophiaposted 6 years ago

I will go visit your hubs. When I read I like to experience the raw emotion of the writer's words------words that make you feel and think and reflect----words that produce lots of emotions.