jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Recommended books anyone?

1. romper20 profile image88
    romper20posted 6 years ago

I'm interested in reading a book with a real lesson taught. What are some mind blowing books out there?

2. Ladybird33 profile image71
    Ladybird33posted 6 years ago

Great question and very hard to answer!  Have you tried The Big Short by Michael Lewis?  May not be your thing but it made me think!

3. vanchen profile image85
    vanchenposted 6 years ago

If you want to learn about what our future society could look like, check out Margret Atwood`s Oryx and Crake.  The sequel also came out - The Year of the Flood.

A scary dystopia society that might shed some light on the world.

4. 0
    philip carey 61posted 6 years ago

I like the Russian novelists. Anna Karenina explores social change and is an excellent study of family life. Dostoevski's "Brothers Karamazov" explores free will, the conflict between faith and doubt, and morality.

5. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 6 years ago

I love the Russian novel 'The Master and Margarita'

All about atheist Russia specifically a group of writers and the devil as a magician with a cool talking cat. Totally weird and wonderful tongue

I actually did a hub on this one wink

6. Violet Flame profile image86
    Violet Flameposted 6 years ago

Just finished reading this awesome book called Shantaram by Australian writer Gregory David Roberts. It's a novel that more or less based on his life, and what a life! Many lessons learned or lost. Rich and poignant. You can check out more detail on www dot shantaram dot com

7. wingedcentaur profile image88
    wingedcentaurposted 6 years ago

Good Day romper20,

I always liked a literary suspense novel called The Portrait by Ian Pears. The book is more of a meditation covering fundamental themes of human life. There's nothing so straightforward as a lesson taught or "the moral of the story is..."

I tend to be suspicious of that kind of fiction, as I am wary of the whole "New Age" movement that tells us that problems are as simple to vanquish as adjusting our mind-set, and so forth. I don't have to tell you this, but life is hard and complex and not easily reducible to simple solutions.

Anyway, I don't think you'll be sorry for reading The Portrait by Ian Pears. Its powerful and a quick read too, at only two hundred pages. You don't find that kind of precision of expression much any more. Someone like Stephen King, for example, takes two hundred pages just to warm up.