jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)

Stuck on landing strip....any ideas?

1. crbarkman profile image61
    crbarkmanposted 6 years ago

I'm desperately trying to get a writing career going.  I'm already a produced screenwriter, but want my hubs to take off and get noticed....

Unfortunately, I'm an idiot and haven't an inkling where to start.

Anyone know of any websites looking for comedy blog writers or job postings for this type of thing?

1. jdaviswrites profile image92
      jdaviswritesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

for starters, stop calling yourself an idiot.

i don't know any one way to get a writing career going. the only thing i would suggest is write what you want to write about, to the best of your ability. stay persistent, keep exploring your options, and stay positive. things will happen eventually if you do this.

at least...that is what i believe. i'm in your same boat though and i'm by no means an accomplished writer. so take that for what its worth. i however, am no idiot.

2. 59
      My Tainted Bloodposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Just follow some simple rules. Practice - write one or two pages a day. It can be nonsense and none of it has to make sense. But if you have an idea start on that and start writing with no hesitation between words, even if you have to start going, "um da mom bib ok i remember it was the fog..."  Also, try to show it and not say it. Something like, the satiny cloth flew over like an underwater stingray disappearing over a sea cliff, so I had to go around the bed, pick it off the floor and try again. Satin. Be creative. Be someone else. Make up characters and then make a spiderweb stemming out from the character showing who is friend's are, where he works or eats - and more webs from your original. Or buy a creative writing book that makes you do exercises and then actually do the exercises. It's a journey of learning, of spilling your soul through other characters, and it's a journey of passion.

2. ilmdamaily profile image91
    ilmdamailyposted 6 years ago

Agree with the above: you're not an idiot:-)

If you're looking for work writing for a comedy blog, why not start your own? Build up your own site with enough quality content. Start guest blogging for other blogs related to yours. If you're good enough, you might get a job as staff blogger. Do that for several blogs and you'll make some sort of an income. I know plenty of people that do this - you can too!

It'll take a bit of research but it is very possible.

Choose a niche. Build an audience. Monetize the site.

It sounds simple, and there's a bit more to it than that - but the prinicple is the same.

1. jdaviswrites profile image92
      jdaviswritesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

and boom goes the dynamite!

2. katiem2 profile image59
      katiem2posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Just do it!  I'm off to check out your hubs... smile

3. Paradise7 profile image85
    Paradise7posted 6 years ago

I just read your Valentine's Day hub, it was hilarious!!!  I recommend it to everyone!

4. Paradise7 profile image85
    Paradise7posted 6 years ago

I wish I knew where to refer you to, for paid work.  HubPages takes a looooonnnnnggggggg time to pay off.  Ask anyone!

5. MojoJojo49 profile image59
    MojoJojo49posted 6 years ago

I disagree with everybody above...I think you are an idiot. But I mean that in the best possible way wink

p.s. I'm an idiot too and I think anyone that thinks they are otherwise is even more idiotic than me and you and me and you and me combined.

p.p.s.s. Only joking. Great style man. keep up the good work. It's smokey bacon.

6. 0
    Precious Williamsposted 6 years ago

I'm not sure whether this was a serious question. Sorry - I don't have much of a sense of humour.  If you are serious, then I think you're an idiot because I went to your hubs and I read three of them.  I loved the clowns and the kangaroo farts. If you're a screen writer you're already a writer.  I hate to sound boring, but frankly decide where you want to be with your writing and then work backwards from that date, setting out how you are going to get there. You can't hide behind "I don't know how to get started"  Claptrap - you have started and the only person who will make it happen as you.  Best of luck

7. Greek One profile image80
    Greek Oneposted 6 years ago

I find that my comedic writings alone have made me over 24 cents in 10 months... so Hubpages is the best place to start

1. katiem2 profile image59
      katiem2posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Your comedic?  All this time I've thought of you as a more serious writer... smile

1. Greek One profile image80
        Greek Oneposted 6 years ago in reply to this

i knew i should have added " smile " after each sentence

8. 0
    Lecieposted 6 years ago

some writing agencies are looking for comedic writers. try a web search for literary agencies and browse till you find one seeking your talent.

9. 0
    Gracie Sophiaposted 6 years ago

The Happenstance Theory says that sometimes an opportunity opens just from sheer luck. However, persistence is key.