jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

A brave soul

1. thirdmillenium profile image72
    thirdmilleniumposted 6 years ago

So brave that you plodded through a book which bored you to death all  because some one had insisted that you HAD better  read it/recommended by a supposedly-intellectual?

1. Norah Casey profile image80
      Norah Caseyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I know I'm probably going to get stoned or egged or tormented for saying it, but the most difficult book I read based on these lines was Wuthering Heights. It was painfully boring. My younger sister recently reported the same experience. I don't think it is bad, it was just not my style.

If we are counting assigned books for college classes, then I'll have to set aside a day to type up all of my examples wink

1. earnestshub profile image87
        earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It is simpler than that Norah! Wuthering heights is torture designed to drive students nuts! My daughter and her friends think so anyway! lol

2. 0
    Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago

What book?
    I don't read any book just because someone else recommends it.  Except the Gospel.

1. thirdmillenium profile image72
      thirdmilleniumposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Good for you and God blesss you

3. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

I can't even concentrate on a book I find too boring.  I'll think I'm reading it, only to discover I've gone through a few pages and not been paying attention.  I have a list of them because I don't read or do anything based on its supposed "intellectual" nature. 

Wuthering Heights, though - one of my all-time favorite books.  smile

4. USMCwifey09 profile image73
    USMCwifey09posted 6 years ago

Too many times I've finished a terrible book simply because I felt obligated. Big waste of time?? Dicken's "Bleak House"...bad bad bad!

5. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

In fairness to SOME seemingly boring books, some start out seeming that way, but if you get through the most boring part they can pick up speed.

One I couldn't get past the beginning was The Death of Ivan Ilych.  I'm sorry....    I just found it torture.   lol  Another one (get the stones and tomatoes ready to throw) was Moby Dick.  One big problem with that one was they made fifteen-year-old girls read it, and I pretty much think it would be a rare fifteen-year-old girl (and reader of Teen and Seventeen Magazine) who could muster up interest in whatever Ishmael had to say.  lol  I think if you managed to avoid reading Moby Dick at fifteen there's a good chance you aren't going back to read it on your own when you're more mature.