jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)

1. lisabeaman profile image87
    lisabeamanposted 6 years ago

I'm just curious. I've noticed quite a few typos or misspelled words in some of the hubs I've read. Does anyone ever offer critiques or suggest editing tips?

1. Lisa HW profile image82
      Lisa HWposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lisabeaman, people who are looking for critiques can go to the "Extreme Hub Make-Over".  I wouldn't send that kind of critique if I saw typos or spelling "issues".  I guess I just assume the writer missed a few things.  I've done that myself, even after running the spell-checker.  Some people appreciate someone else's offering tips.  A lot don't.   hmm

1. lisabeaman profile image87
        lisabeamanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, Lisa! That's good to know about the "Extreme Hub Make-Over". I may check that out myself. Don't worry... I won't point any errors out - that kind of thing would only come back to haunt me. I'm really here more for learning than anything else. I guess I was just surprised.

2. PrettyPanther profile image86
    PrettyPantherposted 6 years ago

For the record, I WANT people to point out my errors and typos so I can fix them!

If I see an error in a hub and I know the hubber would appreciate it being pointed out, then I send them an email.  Otherwise, I just let it be.

3. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

I don't really care if someone points out a typo.  In fact, I appreciate it, for the most part.  I just don't like getting e.mails, opening them, and finding out one is about something I don't see as all that worth an e.mail.   smile  The other side of that, though, is a lot of people on here have indicated they wish someone were available for picking up on typos and errors.

4. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 6 years ago

I've noticed the same thing quite a lot. 

It bothers me slightly in a forum, but only slightly - after all, when we post here, we're in a conversation and may not take very long to check ourselves.

But in Hubs, which supposedly have been honed and polished and, we hope, are going to be around for a long time and read by thousands of people, it seems to me that those goofs/bobbles/ outright mistakes lower the attractiveness and quality of the whole site. 

I agree with Lisa HW: we all can miss things, even when we check using a computer's "brain" or a real human one.  But I've seen Hubs that are so sloppy it's hard to believe they've been checked at all.

Maybe we could keep this forum open as a place where anyone can  mention briefly some of the typos they've seen, but without naming names.  Would that be offensive?

One that I saw recently:  someone wrote defiantly when she mean definitely.

5. megs78 profile image61
    megs78posted 6 years ago

I wood appresiate very mush if peeple corrected my speeling...haha, just kidding.

actually though, it would be great if someone would point out my typos in hubs because sometimes, we just miss them and typos look unprofessional in my opinion.  So if you see one, send me a heads up k?

6. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

On thing that can happen (at least to me) is that I'm typing what I'm "hearing" as I think it up.  I'll know I'm using a word like "you're" or "they're"  (and I certainly know how to use that particular "set" of words); but I'll type what I "hear".  So, even though I know which word it should be, I'm likely to have of these:  "If your thinking....".  The spell checker doesn't pick up that kind of stuff.  There's the old "they're/their/there" thing too. 

Common errors a lot of people do make are the old, "loose/lose" thing.  (An awful lot of people will tell you think they're about to "loose their mind".  smile  ). 

Another one:  Alot.   Two others to watch for:  separate and definite.

I don't know....   I'm just listing some of the ones that come to mind as pretty common.

7. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

If you find a typo on my hubs, please let me know smile

I hate it when I'm re-reading a hub of mine after a few days and notice a typo right in the middle.

1. TamCor profile image81
      TamCorposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I do, too...and I really do appreciate if someone lets me know that I have a mistake in one of my hubs... smile

Some of the major mistakes I see is advice/advise, and spelling "per se" as "per say"... 

One final one: "I could care less", instead of "I couldn't care less"...

I have to admit, though, I don't see these very often! big_smile

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
        Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

People should not use terms they don't know how to spell like
        "per say (per se)", "just desserts (just deserts)", etc.

If you've never seen it in print or know exactly how to spell it and use it properly...don't use it smile

8. Richieb799 profile image67
    Richieb799posted 6 years ago

I have an an email pointing out a typo, I do appreciate it..if its a  big typo..generally I use spell check so it shouldn't be a problem..I am slightly dyslexic so I can't help it

9. Polly C profile image88
    Polly Cposted 6 years ago

I am really particular about things like typos and grammar, but even though I check my work I still miss things sometimes.

10. lisabeaman profile image87
    lisabeamanposted 6 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! I too would like to know if I have any errors in my hubs. That's the kind of thing that I really stress over. I guess I was just caught off guard by the amount of mistakes I saw when I was "HubHopping". I wanted to say something, but I didn't want to sound like the grammar police smile