jump to last post 1-15 of 15 discussions (29 posts)

Write as if each word costs you a dollar

1. 0
    Gracie Sophiaposted 6 years ago

This is a quote from a college professor long ago. Is this how you write?

1. seanorjohn profile image80
      seanorjohnposted 6 years ago in reply to this

...    ...    ......  .....

2. Kimberly Bunch profile image60
      Kimberly Bunchposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I would never get a book written or finished for that matter if I was hung up on every word. Although I enjoy being creative with words and that brings out the pleasure of writing. Instead of it being a sacrifice and pick and choose what you say instead of letting it flow out naturally!

Freedom for self expression is all in not holding back the  divinity of words.

1. dale.b11 profile image59
        dale.b11posted 6 years ago in reply to this

i think the quote more or less means to say as much as you can in as few words as you can. good advice if you get it.

3. Jeff Berndt profile image92
      Jeff Berndtposted 6 years ago in reply to this

4. itech profile image56
      itechposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol lol lol lol
      sorry, it's not possible......

5. Patty Inglish, MS profile image91
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 6 years ago in reply to this

When I'm writing Haiku, yes.

6. camlo profile image80
      camloposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes, it is. Economic use of words does produce the best writing.

7. Shadesbreath profile image90
      Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The point being, I'm sure, that you write with care.  Care for the reader, which translates to quality.

I would argue that Douglas Adams put all those "pointless tangents" into his story completely on purpose.  His words were chosen carefully.  The essence of the humor may have been spontaneous when he drafted the book, but I know he went back and cleaned the language up to make it as polished and wonderful as it is.

8. Stephanie J.B. profile image59
      Stephanie J.B.posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, I try to be as succinct as possible while still keeping my tone intact.  It's challenging, but the more you practice the less time it takes. :]

2. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 6 years ago

Words are sold and bought several hundreds for a dollar nowadays...

3. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

So, in other words, write as if it were a painful experience?  I guess I would say yes, that's how I write - in terms of my book.  It's not an easy story to tell....

1. ACSutliff profile image83
      ACSutliffposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I know exactly how you feel! Writing can be very painful, especially if you end up getting writer's block too, on top of writing a book that just does not want to come out.

If you think about how much each word would cost, you would certainly limit your word count and use one word instead of four or five, and that's a good way to write. Of course, your first draft should be as long as you need it to be. It's the finished product that counts, or costs you money. I want to take this quote to heart.

4. Ultimate Hubber profile image79
    Ultimate Hubberposted 6 years ago

In other words you are telling us to use as less words as possible?
    Hard for me but I have read some work written that way.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image92
      Jeff Berndtposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Not as few words as possible, but the best words for what you're trying to say, and no extras.

Sometimes I use words that aren't strictly necessary for what I'm trying to say, but which add a comic (or other) flavor to the piece.

Someone once wrote, "Style is the mistakes you can't help making." I wish I could remember who.

5. Joy56 profile image61
    Joy56posted 6 years ago

in a word no......

1. 0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 6 years ago in reply to this

6. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 6 years ago

I write as if punctuation costs me money - I wrote about it in a hub somewhere, but I forgot where I put it.  Words = time and time = money, so, yeh.

7. starme77 profile image84
    starme77posted 6 years ago

Write - from the readers perspective - not your own -

8. Peter Hoggan profile image85
    Peter Hogganposted 6 years ago

There is no rule fits all when it comes to writing, whether its ad copy, direct response copy...

For me, one of the funniest most enjoyable reads is The Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy, if all the extra words, the unnecessary asides and pointless tangents were removed I doubt if the book would have ever reached cult status.

9. 0
    MyMoneyTalksposted 6 years ago

I write as though each word earns me a dollar lol, it doesn't however lol

10. Dobson profile image82
    Dobsonposted 6 years ago

If I wrote as if ti cost me a dollar my serial would make me equal to the US government in my debt!

1. ACSutliff profile image83
      ACSutliffposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That's funny Dobson! I feel the same way about my serial. If I posted it all, I'd have well over 100 hubs, and I'd be bankrupt!

11. nkhoironi profile image61
    nkhoironiposted 6 years ago

A dollar for each is not enough for me.

12. davidkhoirul profile image76
    davidkhoirulposted 6 years ago

As a non-native speaker of English, I find it easy to create sentences containing few words.

13. Kangaroo_Jase profile image81
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 6 years ago

Words + writing time / Hubs + Adsense, Amazon, Kontera & eBay / Blogs + other personally owned niche websites + time =  ....ummm....... carry the 2......add 6...divide by 4......errr......ahhh sh*t, I stuffed up the formulae!!!! big_smile

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol lol

14. Peter Hoggan profile image85
    Peter Hogganposted 6 years ago

Of course the pointless asides were included on purpose, that is exactly the point.

15. 0
    philip carey 61posted 6 years ago

Someone once said, "I wrote you a long letter. If I had more time, I would have written you a shorter letter."