jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)

What money? You mean writers make money?

1. 0
    Gracie Sophiaposted 6 years ago

I once sold two short stories for $30.00 each to a small relgious magazine. That's it for me so far.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Cograts on your sales.  $30 is good for a short story.  I make royalties from some small press books which adds up to around $200 a month.  Not big time money, but useful.

2. Suzanne Alicie profile image61
      Suzanne Alicieposted 6 years ago in reply to this

This writer does. I am actually making a living as a freelance writer, making more than I make in my "real" job as a property manager for rental homes. It can be done- check out my website for a list of sites that pay and job boards where you can find freelance jobs. It's fun and profitable.  freelancewriteronline(dot)info

3. Maggs3petts profile image60
      Maggs3pettsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Compared to the $1 per book I received from publishamerica - that's a fortune.  Good for you.  My recent experience with publishamerica has made me feel like I'll never write anything again.  I have three other books part finished but I might just burn them.  I thought getting my first book published would make me feel could but publishamerica have ruined this.  So I'm asking everyone out there DO NOT buy a book called, "Ma's Secret' - it could have been a good read - it should have been a good read BUT pa refused to accept the final version with essential changes to it and are publishing it their crappy way - so I'm boycotting it and asking everyone else to do likewise.

2. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 6 years ago

Writers don't. Marketers do. smile

3. coeline profile image80
    coelineposted 6 years ago

I make money through writing by writing for clients. I post ads at craigslist.com and other job sites, join freelance writing sites like odesk.com, elance.com, etc. and I earn either per hour, per article or per bulk.

I am also an independent contractor, with a team of writers I work with.

1. torimari profile image80
      torimariposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Great tips. You should write a hub on this. I think it would be a hit because a lot of people here are looking for freelance ideas, but don't know how to kick it off.

1. coeline profile image80
        coelineposted 6 years ago in reply to this

thanks! sure, I'm laying out the contents of the hub about it. would love to share whatever I could to those who need some tips. smile

4. NathanSyckel profile image60
    NathanSyckelposted 6 years ago

Check out TextBroker. I'm not going to link it but if you want to make a little bit of money for your writing there is plenty of work there. Granted you won't get paid much but if you can get rated quality score of 4 you can get $7 to $8 for a 500 word article. Like I said, it's not great but it's money. Hell, if you wrote 10 articles a day thats a good living you could make.

Problem, writing 10 articles a day can be a challenge especially if they are on topics you aren't interested in. You really have to be skilled at staying on task and completing jobs on a deadline. It's a challenge, BUT it is worth it for me. I make a few hundred extra dollars a month this way which really helps.

1. CASE1WORKER profile image85
      CASE1WORKERposted 6 years ago in reply to this

pity its for citizens of the USA only- looked quite fun

5. Nera Woods profile image83
    Nera Woodsposted 6 years ago

I've been writing for 2 clients based in Florida since last year when I lost my corporate job. Also, there's this new online magazine where I submitted two articles last week and I was paid nearly $25. I wrote about this in one of my 6 hubs.

6. Karanda profile image84
    Karandaposted 6 years ago

My first real paying writing job online was found on Suite101 in February. Maybe I was lucky in being in the right place at the right time. $20 per article for 500 words is not a bad income especially when they asked for 50 articles per month. But gosh, it's hard work. The articles come in batches of 10 or 20 and are all on the same subject. Try writing the same thing in a different way 10 times then do it again next month! This is not an easy task. Getting paid for writing is hard work but to give copyrights to someone else when there is so much residual income to be made makes me wonder if I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

7. Csjun89 profile image75
    Csjun89posted 6 years ago

Writers do if they keep at it!

8. BeccaHubbardWoods profile image82
    BeccaHubbardWoodsposted 6 years ago

I make very good money writing. I'm a freelancer and get paid $20 per 500 words. I can write 10-15 articles a night, and support my family of four. The only problem is I spend a lot of time staring at the computer screen doing research and typing the articles up. My neck and eyes hurt a lot lately. sad it's worth it though.

1. Pcunix profile image91
      Pcunixposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I only write on the web now, but in the past I have sold technical articles to computer magazines.  That paid a LOT better than $30 for 500 words. 

I don't remember how many words the last one I sold was, but it was typical magazine article length and I got $1,200.00 for it and that was back in the 80's.

I'd suggest you look into tech writing.  I have no idea what they are paying now, but I suspect it might be better than $30.00 :-)

9. M. T. Dremer profile image92
    M. T. Dremerposted 6 years ago

The only money I've ever made for my writing was a contest I won at my community college. They paid $100 for the first place winner. I tried a writing job that paid per article, but I never got paid and they never contacted me again after the first 5 articles >.< then I tried a different money-from-ads website, where I inadvertently broke one of their rules and was never paid any amount. Now I'm here at HubPages, religiously following their rules and patiently awaiting my first payout from google. Who knows when that will be, but I'm determined to make it a reality.

10. Natural Write profile image59
    Natural Writeposted 6 years ago

Actually, I'm writing a series of articles on freelance writers and their (our) pricing problems. If anyone's willing to share privately with me their experiences. The articles will be around the topic of the gray pricing line, or gap, that exists in our setting standards and communicating with each other.

I think it will benefit the entire community, the more we're able to share and support.

11. Peter Hoggan profile image85
    Peter Hogganposted 6 years ago

I think Misha and Suzanne Alicie are pointing the way, that is, along with writing ability you need to be able to market yourself.