Is there such a thing as too much editing of a story?

1. 0
    Gracie Sophiaposted 6 years ago

Sometimes I edit so much that I think the creativity goes out the window.

2. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

The only editing I ever do is to go back and look for typos or the occasional thing like having forgotten to add a word. Even when I was writing regularly for newspapers it's how I had to do things (and editors didn't change anything, so weird as it may seem, the approach can actually work OK).  I'm not generally a creative person, but I have a definite "mental process" required for writing; and it doesn't including "throwing that off" by writing things like outlines and drafts.  lol  When I need to write a outline I can/will do that.  Drafts are just something I don't do.  If I did, my writing would turn into something else (that I don't want it to).

I "incubate" a "main, mental, outline"; and then I'll make mental notes of the main points I want to aim for.    Maybe I don't have enough experience writing drafts to know; but it seems to me if too much editing appears required either the writer didn't incubate the material quite long enough; or the writer lacks confidence in his own writing.