From personal experience, research, both?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Slainia profile image60
    Slainiaposted 13 years ago

I'm looking for some advice here, I guess. When you're writing, say for hubpages, or something else that allows for marketing/amazon etc sales, do you write from personal experience? Theres a topic I have to go find in a bit thats sort of related, I think, but the reason I'm wondering is from a research standpoint, and I can't find the other thread.
    I have an idea for an article or three, on products that I use, but I haven't used them extensively enough to feel I'm an authority, and I can't exactly go out and buy them due to odsp.
    So. Wheres the line between bullshitting your audience, and experimenting and doing reasonable research? I'm new to writing for anything but myself, but I need practice, so...
    Help? input? I feel like such a noob as the saying goes...

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that provided you're honest, you can write from your own personal experience.  For instance, I have a Hub about a brand of jeans.  I wrote it a couple of months after buying them, so I can't say how well they'll wear.  But I can disclose I've only had them a short time, and give my opinion.

Slainiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just don't want to come off as if I'm trying to - hmm. Fast-sell people in to buying something. Thanks, Marisa. I think that may be the best approach for me at the moment. smile

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Marketing isn't for everyone. Not everyone can do it. Everyone has the potential, but not the ability to tap creative nature needed to make a living at it.

Many people do reviews on movies, or tv series, or books they read, or products(like you said). They don't need, neither do you, to be an authority on the subject, but inform people do yes you do use the product and your view of the product is as it is written in a hub.

You produce a product, a free review for a product. Nowadays, people search everywhere looking for reviews. It has to be honest to be effective and grammar is always key.

If you want to try a sales pitch, it will be written differently.

Just my thoughts on it.

l just want to do reviews, a chance to experiment and learn/grow. Feedback - and l suppose the profit aspect of it - are kind of side bonuses, but l haven't had a lot of time/chances to experiment with writing styles and whatnot. I could do it on my own, not post it, but that only somewhat works in my opinion. Thanks, Cagsil. Appreciate the time to answer.. smile
      l am doing books, tho. Slowly. Books l can do.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Go in with that in mind when you write the hub. You make sure you establish that you want to convey your opinions. Most people are willing to read about what others think about books. The review would be a good option.

It could be a tough market on keywords, but I guess you could research the titles before-hand, so you know what you are up against.

That sort of research is a must, besides reading the books. Especially, if you want to write to make money.

I would suggest reading up on SEO from Sunforged, resident guru on SEO. smile Search Engine Optimization is very helpful to earning.

I've researched that quite a bit in terms of the website. STill have a LOT to do for hubpages, though. Mind you, l'm going into this with the expectation that l won't make much money for a while till l get the hang of it. As long as editing hubs is ok l hope. Lol
          l still have a lot to learn for the website too, actually. only been doing this stuff since.... the first week of may? ish
          l'll look - them? him/her? up in a min, thanks. smile

3. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

http://hubpages.com/hub/Get-Website-Tra … -earn-from

http://hubpages.com/hub/Writing-for-mon … nt-revenue

Above is two I have bookmarked for re-reading.. lol

Edit: Sunforged is a him. smile

Oh! Thanks. I just found Sunforged's profile, too. Sounds like I'll have a busy weekend. smile

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

cool

4. talfonso profile image84
    talfonsoposted 13 years ago

I use both personal experiences and research to write my Hubs - it makes it look interesting to the readers. In my recent Hub on how Christmas comes earlier year after year, I don't just write on how stores stock decorations on the shelves before Halloween, but I support my topic with my experience in a school concert during my senior year before Halloween, when the band played two Christmas songs.

5. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I write from research more than personal experience.

6. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I think you can do both, but handle each differently. Some people do something like research and offer something like write a Hub on all the kinds of something (like, maybe, travel mugs) that are out there.    Someone else (or the same person in a different Hub) could write from a personal experience and say something honest, like, "I have this travel mug and like it for all the following reasons, but....."   I have one really successful Hub that was done that way.  It's informal (kind of folsky) and I just told it like it was, based on my own personal experience.  I was surprised to see how it took off.  For the most part, people know what I've presented is just personal experience.  (Although I've been accused of working for that company from time to time.)

I don't think you have to "BS" people.  In fact, I think when it's clear you're being honest about your experience with something readers see that, and the Hub may actually do better.

Then again, you could use a combo approach - "Here's my experience with this brand; and here's this one and a bunch of other brands too".

This is just personal opinion as a reader, but the ones I think look "BS-y" are the ones that say way more about some insignificant product than any genuine person would ordinarily say about a product that insignificant.  As a reader, I'm more likely to want to read about someone's personal experience with, say, a certain brand of PC (lots of room for "issues" that show up in use)than I am to read some padded piece about someone's favorite Number 2 pencil.  If I'm looking for info on Number 2 pencils I just want to know how many brands there are and how much a case I'll have to pay for them.  To me, if someone wants to pad a Hub on something like Number 2 pencil he ought to go the route of offering history of the product or other research-based info, rather than all his years of using them.  (Everyone else has been using them for all those years too. )  If I see one of those over-padded Hubs about some product that doesn't really call for it I'm leaving and going where I think I'll get researched info only.  (Maybe that's just me.)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)