poetry

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (27 posts)
  1. t.cobbler profile image60
    t.cobblerposted 13 years ago

I have written a few. I write as a creative outlet. anyone else do the same? However it means nothing if no one enjoys them. so feel free to read them.

1. Abwaan profile image61
      Abwaanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I enjoy poetry
      With cool flavors on my tangue
      Although poetry is not lickable
      Like a sweet chocolate
      I can still taste it with my mind

Do't let your pen
      To run out
      Keep it full with ink
      that never dry up
      as if it is supplied with infinite source

1. Sassypoetic profile image60
        Sassypoeticposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hello Abwaan

Poetry is beautiful ..  My colorful spirit runs so free... Like ocean waves on a deep blue sea... Keep on writing as it heals the inner soul.. Taking you to another dimension before losing control... 

though I am new to this page, I'll soon be posting poems on here that is breathtaking...

2. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If writing is a creative outlet for you... then why does it concern you as to whether or not others enjoy it? hmm
      Some of the best poetry that I have read.. I have hated at first. hmm

Good luck with your goals here.

t.cobblerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting.. As with all creation in this world. It needs to be viewed, enjoyed, shared. for if it is not. then it is no longer an outlet. does that about cover it?

1. profile image0
          china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are right - if we only write for ourselves then we don't need to publish it, just put it in a forgotten draw with the other stuff of sentimental value - but no other value.

it's the truth. If it cant be enjoyed by others. then you may as well keep it too yourself, and never write it down.

2. Sab Oh profile image56
            Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...................... roll

3. manlypoetryman profile image82
      manlypoetrymanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hear ya' on the creative outlet part. See...Men can "bring-it" with the Poetry! (Shoot...juz' look at all the men on Hub Pages...that can "bring it" with the Poetry thang! Poetry is a gift if you can harness its' energy...and if you can...then more power to ya'!

Welcome to Hub Pages by the way...even though it looks like you have been around here two months. You have many great poets on here...on Hub Pages. Welcome to our cyber-part of the world. I'm going to shoot on over to your view some of your works...Best of success in Hublandia...Our Poetry Hub Home!

4. t.cobbler profile image60

I have just written another. from what I have been reading. poetry has a wide range.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Welcome to HubPages and Welcome to the Forum. Do have a great time. smile

3. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I dabble as a way of seeing what I can come up.  I set up a blog for "storing" them.   smile   Welcome to HubPages.

that's allways fun.

4. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

i think i love poetry, writing it and reading it

1. because i love the written word, but have a very big problem with concentration, and find long hubs hard to get through.

2 I feel everything so deeply ..... poetry is a great outlet for ones emotions.

3 It is a great way of communicating.  Hard to make money from, that is not my intention anyway

So yes for me a huge thumbs up for poetry.I

I believe the key is to not concentrate. let your mind go, and the words will come.

5. akulkarni1234 profile image60
    akulkarni1234posted 13 years ago

i wonder as a poet we have no restrictions .how do we rate if a poem is good

1. profile image0

Poetry does have restrictions - there are rules for certain kinds of poetry that make it what it is, and breaking those rules makes other poems what they are.

Without any structure or understanding of the rules poetry becomes something else that does not speak in the same way any more, it has no depth.  Long winded expounding of weird thoughts in what looks like poetry is just people letting off wind and trying to disguise it as poetry, often these people think it is 'powerful' or 'insightful' when in fact it is just a rant. 

Emotional outpourings are closer to poetry and fulfil a need of the writer to get some good or bad stuff out - just telling some things is not good enough sometimes and the feeling that the emotions are amplified by looking like a poetic form is satisfying.

Many people have many different ideas of what makes good poetry but mostly they are confusing what they like with a definition, rap music style is about in the middle between non-poetry and poetry - it kinda is and kinda isn't in a way.

Maybe the only thing that makes poetry good is whether it means more to you than what it is directly saying.

1. profile image0
        ralwusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you are full of it like so many professors. Sorry. No I'm not either. It needed to be said. I hate poetry.

1. Sab Oh profile image56
          Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"hate"? That's a bit strong.

1. profile image0

Mewlhouse has a hub that will explain that better than I can.

2. profile image0

Hate - or don't understand?  I have a brother in law who actively campaigns against any form of public art - he does not see anything in it at all.  He says he hates art generally.

I have checked out Mewlhouse and can't find any hub that you describe - but then I got reading his great poetry.

Maybe you just prefer real stuff, that you can physically  handle etc ?

1. profile image0

He removed that great essay. Dam. He is a great man and I respect him a lot. I understand poetry, I write some of that crap myself, but I hate it in the sense that it has such a wicked hold onto my skinny barb-wired-soul. Now, you understand?

1. profile image0

Now you put it so poetically - yes big_smile big_smile

6. H.C Porter profile image80
    H.C Porterposted 13 years ago

I find it easier to express my true feelings in poetry than in my other writing. Although poetry has rules-it also allows for one to use more word play and express their ideologies or abstracted thoughts with satire without explaining in depth as to make perfect sense-but rather leave the words up for each person’s compression of the writing. When expressing youself by writing a story, recollection or thought it needs to flow in some manner so that the reader can place events, situations and outcomes in order to make sense of the story or idea being described. Where as poetry allows the writer to focus more so on the emotions not the 'story or recollection’ or even having a complete thought or justification within the poetry.
    Not entirely sure if I made any sense with all of that, maybe I should have written a poem in response and not attempted to express a complete thought  big_smile

very good.

7. Ivann profile image59
    Ivannposted 13 years ago

I adore poetry (:

It takes up most of my hubs.

8. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 13 years ago

Poetry is many things.... heaven in
    it's stroking of loves soft skin.
    And in the telling of leaving hearts
    not ever to return again.

Or the fall of an empire where gods
    vengeance speaks to man.
    And in the raising of  child
    with  kindness and gentle hand.

It's about soldiers...a line of candles
    dieing in a blowing wind.
    And too ...the hold of a
    mistress' breath locked forever in.

And forever are the words written
    on tablets of grey stone.
    For me though.. heart words  slowly
    pulling me away from alone.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)