jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (15 posts)

1. billchucks profile image61
    billchucksposted 6 years ago

i think i have a little talent in poetry can someone suggest how i can develop myself

1. psycheskinner profile image81
      psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

All caps headings and no caps posts are not a great start.  I would suggest joining a poetry forum and taking part in critique threads.

2. Ivann profile image59
      Ivannposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Write about random thing start with nothing, start with words out of whatever appears in your head.
      (: Writing has always been inside each individual.
      You just need to push it out of your system and start with something you have most interest with.

2. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

Are you sure you are up to the sort of answer your post Could Get here? hmm

'Developing yourself' - Ummm? hmm

Get your poetry highly ranked with SEs by writing with keywords within your poems. That also means that you are promoting your name as well.

Clearly no one knows who you are... and you have no fans yet.. so what have you done so far to resolve the problem? hmm

AND... IT Protocol - wise.... Get rid of your idea that writing in CAPS is a clever thing to do! It Isn't and it is taken by others to mean that you are YELLING AT THEM. Comprende?

3. Sab Oh profile image59
    Sab Ohposted 6 years ago

The answer is the same as with anything else: HARD WORK

4. mythbuster profile image84
    mythbusterposted 6 years ago

Aristotle's "Poetics" is the first book from this google book list and it's viewable online in it's entirety, billchucks - if you'd like to check out some classical instruction, details on rhetoric, and see what Aristotle has to say on a few genres:

It's not for all, but some people benefit from understanding the structure of things, from the ground on up.

5. 0
    ralwusposted 6 years ago

read a lot of poets, males and females and mebbe take some writing courses

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree. read a lot of different styles, read how other poets write. writing courses, a really good book with writing practices given. if you have a decent bookstore in your area or library, they often have writing classes or poetry nights.

6. mysterylady 89 profile image59
    mysterylady 89posted 6 years ago

I recommend going to hubber Winsome's site.  He is very creative.  Also try reading some of your favorite poets.

7. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

You Opened a thread and asked us to help you with advice which would help you 'Develop Yourself' - Yet you actually couldn't give a toss.. which is highlighted by the fact that you haven't bothered to respond to anyone who took the time to offer you some excellent advice.

Personally I find that extremely rude and it shows the quality of the OP in more ways than one!

Here's a little bit more advice mate...
    Poetry is about communication and the poet's ability to communicate his/her message across to others.
    It appears that you have unwittingly achieved that result;
    The message I get from you is: Don't Waste Your Time On Screamers and Fools!
    Thank you for the lesson.. Good Luck with your little talent.. roll

8. Ben Evans profile image75
    Ben Evansposted 6 years ago

Some people write poetry as a narrative but for the most part it is just a narrative.  Others write as a rant.  Some write a little rhyme.  There is no write or wrong way to write a poem.

While each poet has his or her own way of expressing poetry, there is something common about good poetry.  It is either expressive, beautiful, or evocative.

Here is a poet who expresses a picture and paints it metaphorically .............William Wordsworth's His poem "Daffodils".  would be good for you to read.

I am relating this to your poem "My thoughts for you".  You know what this is actually a good poem and you are developing metaphor and I would recommend that others read your poem.

What you will need to do to develop better poetry is to keep writing.   

The critique that I have is that the pictures you paint are not tied. You also need a little bit of work to make the readability better.  I think people your poem if they read it.

There are always some people who do not really know what good poetry is so just let that roll of your back.  (most people gave good advise)

1. Sab Oh profile image59
      Sab Ohposted 6 years ago in reply to this

"There is no right or wrong way to write a poem."

I dunno about that...

1. Ben Evans profile image75
        Ben Evansposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It is kind of saying.  I think as far as writing what I am referring to is that there is really no set rules.  Some people think that poetry must be written in meter and others believe it must be deep down emotion.  It actually can be written many ways.

Of course good poetry is done in a style that makes some one want to read it.

2. Ben Evans profile image75
        Ben Evansposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I just read some of your haiku.  It is good.  Haiku and tanka poetry are very hard to master.

1. Sab Oh profile image59
          Sab Ohposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I know I sure as hell haven't!