Mark Twain's Autobiography

1. Jael Turner profile image62
    Jael Turnerposted 6 years ago

I currently writing a serial novel with Mark Twain (i.e., Samuel Clemens) as the narrator entitled The Legend of Sven Svenson, the Viking Outlaw. I thought would play with Mark's weaknesses (for women, cigars, and ornate language), but then I found that his autobiography of over 5,000 is soon to be released from the archives in Berkeley where it has been stored for a hundred years. Apparently, my little weaknesses were minor compared to some of the dirt that Mark details himself, having an affair in his old age with a secretary who gave him a sex toy, and who later called a slut.

Give all this, do you think that Twain's legacy as an anti-racist, speaker, and all-around humorist will be tarnished?

1. Shadesbreath profile image90
      Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago in reply to this

He understood humanity.  He tipped his cards in his writing, I don't think too many people think he was a saint.  Intelligence and insight like his will be perfectly capable of enduring truth.  That was his point.  The only people who will think less of him are the morons who already think he was a racist. They'll scream and shout and writhe about it agony saying, "SEE!" Calling for Huckleberry Finn to be banned and burned from schools even more loudly. But their opinions won't matter as long as there are still actual thinkers in charge.  (Although, with the Idiocracy building, who knows. By then it will be too late.)