Are you a dark poet?

Jump to Last Post 51-64 of 64 discussions (100 posts)
  1. know one profile image62
    know oneposted 13 years ago

Well, I may have just found my "Go To" starter list of poets on the Hub ;-)

I'd say mine can be cynical, scathing, dark, blunt, honest... and yet some (count 'em on just one hand!) are quite nice really. It just depends whether I can override the pull towards the shadows and the dark corners.

2. profile image0
    ssbrookhaven65posted 13 years ago

My poetry is very dark.

3. Jaggedfrost profile image60
    Jaggedfrostposted 13 years ago

Sometimes I am not sure of the virtues engendered by being considered a dark poet.  I seem to be catching a lot of those comments recently and I am only aware that my works of late have had a definitely serious note and tenor about them.

4. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

Dark poetry is a mainly product of a fractured self - having found a happy and fulfilling place in life I find it really hard to write introverted stuff about the bad experiences of life.

5. Jaggedfrost profile image60

China, I am glad that you have found that capability.  Being incapable of ditching ones' past isn't any fun.

1. profile image0
      china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would say that this is the biggest problem in society generally, the piling up of one damage onto another until it is too hard to get out from under.  Then damaged people run the media and religion reinforcing the idea that the general state of psychosis is the norm.

1. Jaggedfrost profile image60
        Jaggedfrostposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting indeed when human tragedy statistically skews the norm but was there ever a norm anyhow or a concealment and ruse that has been unsealed and aired?  For better or for worse we may not be any nicer now then when we thought ourself nicer then just more awake to our abnormality in normality.

1. profile image0

That is the western issue of trying to return home which is impossible (the reason religion is attractive, by offering a mirage of 'home') .  The way back - to less complex and damaged - is forward by following some personal path in the way of Buddhism and a few other enlightened ways.

Writing dark stuff is in some ways rollng around in the rotten guts of a damaged self.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
            couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Excellently stated.  We can never go backwards.

6. The Demon Writer profile image60
    The Demon Writerposted 13 years ago

I would probably be considered a dark poet/write. I personally would like to think of myself as 'phsycological' writer. I just joined this site and I only have one Hub called 'The Demon Writer'. Read it and you will understand me.

7. janessecret profile image40
    janessecretposted 13 years ago

I think all poetry is dark, I remember my English teacher telling us that almost all poetry is about death in one way or the other . . .

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought about your comment and tried to find what I thought was my happiest poem.  I actually came up with several, too many to post as comment, and honestly couldn't see any deep death meaning behind them.  Just proving that those who teach academia are often as clueless as any other.

8. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

Is this considered Dark?

Dust of My Dust

O dust of my dust,
    child who died as soon as
    you split the matrix,
    dead with my dead fathers.
    You never tasted breath though
    you tried so hard in vain
    with a wee heart that beat within
    your mother's womb, but stopped
    when you left us for perchance
    a better place.
    Ah, so the better, my child.
    for you never traveled
    the long way of drudgery
    when wee finger blurs under the tears
    that fall upon the first wound,
    or when abandoned by a friend
    for another, and illness, and
    the smell of death by the bed;
    the loss of a loved one;
    or shame, or poverty;
    the old friend sorrow as childhood ends;
    the blind eye of nature that gives you
    drink from the heady cup of love.
    Lost child, death may be better than life.

Ralwus

1. The Suburban Poet profile image81
      The Suburban Poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ralwas,

Depends on your point of view I guess on that one... there are some people who don't want to hear that message even though it was so elegant and poignant... I wrote one about a fetus once that has never seen the light of day because I didn't want the abuse.... it's a hard topic but is there darkness when you shine a light?

2. profile image0

I would say this is melancholy but not dark - it reasons around the loss and looks for some kind of balance.

9. profile image0

You should maybe publish it, but I understand. Death is scary to many but it too is life. Losing any child is so hard, even stillborn. Thanks Suburban.

Stillborn... man I need to expand my assumptions...  great poem regardless....

Ralwus... I wanted to also say I'm sorry that you had to endure that kind of pain. I don't think it's dark to write about something that happened to you... maybe it's dark to some people but life is life. Dark might be just a general poem that projects moroseness or only seeing the negatives of life. It's a tough thing to define. I don't write "happy" all the time; but I have to guard against trying to go deep when I write because I feel the allure of dark words. For me personally it becomes pretentious because I really have no reason to be dark. I have my problems but they are manageable and in some cases self-inflicted so I have to regulate myself with what I say.

10. mylife=adventure profile image60
    mylife=adventureposted 13 years ago

The darkest poets are the most thoughtful poets they can dig deep into their souls and find their pain and misfortunes and turn them into something beautiful that can spark others to feel connected to the same such writing and feelings.

Thats just one ex junkie hippie nerds opinion though ha =].

11. profile image0

Rev. Archibald Bean

If you in the village of Shreve think my work as good,
    who closed the sex shop, stopped gambling
    at John Stibb's place, and got that whore
    Polly Brinkerman hauled before Judge White
    in my crusade to purge the county of sin and vice;
    why do you let the good deacon's daughter Julie,
    and that worthless Amish son of Jonas Beechy
    nightly use my grave for un unholy bed?

Ralwus big_smile

12. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 13 years ago

Are dark poets always as
    unsettled as I.
    Once I had the chance
    and lost it.
    and now.....now.
    The darkness of the night
    skies give way to stars.
    And the wolf moon dances for
    pennies at the circus......
    Yes....Yes I am dark
    and getting darker still.
    Are you too afraid
    to look me in
    the eyes?

13. Jaggedfrost profile image60

oh no! Some one close this thread or my darkness might start showing noooooooo..... tooo late!  YOU ALL ARE GOING TO DIE!.... eventually lol.

14. 2besure profile image79
    2besureposted 13 years ago

Yes, until I got help...

I'd like to dye just someday soon and rest through eternity;
    A peaceful death, not violent, like drowning in the sea.

To die would be a pleasure, when heartache and pain are gone,

For never again would I have to cry, for the things I've done that were wrong.

Fourth Grade.  Wow!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)