jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (14 posts)

Buying Books...

1. lovebuglena profile image92
    lovebuglenaposted 6 years ago

There are so many books out there - books by well-known authors, books by newbie authors, and books by self-published authors. What is your criteria for deciding whether to buy a certain book or not? Also, would you buy books by self-published authors? Please share your thoughts.

2. Kimberly Bunch profile image61
    Kimberly Bunchposted 6 years ago

Hi! I go by if they have been rated with five stars and have been rated several times with at least 4.5 stars. Then I know that my chances of liking the book goes way up. Also I will check what others said about the book.

I have read self published books before and have read some amazing stories. Also I get a ton of books from the library to read regularly --stacks of them!

3. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

My criteria for buying a book is whether I want to read it - that's it.  If I want to read a book I'll buy it, because I don't want to borrow books (usually).  I buy non-fiction only, and often reference-type books or books written by well known and reputable people, of someone like a historian who has written a book about history.

To be honest, it never even occurred to me to buy a self-published book, because I guess I'm thinking there's a good chance it could be some of the questionable stuff we often see in online writing -  only a big, load, of it.  lol  I know that't not fair, and I've even pondered the idea of self-publishing, myself (aiming, of course, to make sure it's solid and professional).  Still, I guess I come from the generation of people who do attach a stigma to self-publishing.  At the same time, there's a part of me that thinks it makes all the sense in the world for someone to self-publish, rather than go through the whole process of finding a publisher.   Basically, I suffer from outdated thinking and prejudice and know it.   hmm

4. ACSutliff profile image84
    ACSutliffposted 6 years ago

This is a great question!

Lately, I haven't been buying books, which is a serious problem. People who read need to buy books, and writers who dream of being published owe it to the business to buy books.

I will always buy a book by my favorite author, and I always enjoy those books. I should take some time to discover a few new authors to start buying more consistently.

5. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

I have a kindle now, so I kindle shop. I've downloaded some of the classics and a couple that sound interesting.
    I also have used the library a lot as I wanted to stop buying so many books [because I have a lot I haven't finished].  I do look at reviews and read some of the book first before I decide to use my time to read it. I think I'm more fussy now about how I use my time so I try to be sure I really want to read it.
    I might read a self-published book if it looked interesting, but probably wouldn't buy one.

6. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 6 years ago

I belong to three books clubs and have many more friends who read, so I'm always getting lots of recommendations. I also subscribe to literary magazines and read lots of reviews.

Now that I have a nook and don't go to bookstores as often, I am finding that I do rely on word-of-mouth more. It makes me wonder as e-readers put bookstores out of business how we will share that info and find new writers.

Sometimes if I see an author's website and can read a portion of a self-published book to see if I like it, I will buy the rest.

1. lovebuglena profile image92
      lovebuglenaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I thought that e-readers, at least the kindle, allow people to preview a certain number of pages within a book, so readers can make a decision whether they want to purchase the e-book or not. Is it not done on the nook?

7. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

One thing that gets me to buy a book is hearing the author talk about it on tv or radio, and having it be a subject I'm already interested in.   Usually, some radio program will say the subject will be a part of the show, and then the author comes on.  If the person really stands out as being someone who seems to have a lot of good ideas, I'll pretty much decide I want the book.

8. lovebuglena profile image92
    lovebuglenaposted 6 years ago

There are traditionally published books that are bad and then there are self-published books that are great. So, why someone would not buy a self-published book is beyond me. If a book is great why should it matter how it was published...?

9. 60
    molivas24posted 6 years ago

I always check out many books at a time per week from the public library.
    The only books I actually buy are from authors that I truly love or books that I know I will actually read again.
    To me, it is pointless to buy a book, read it once, enjoy it, then never read it again and just have it sitting on my bookshelf collecting dust.

10. shellyakins profile image83
    shellyakinsposted 6 years ago

I'm a member of PaperBackSwap.com and get most of my books from there.  I read the other members reviews of the books before I order them.  Also, I pick up books that are recommended to me by friends and family.

11. Ivorwen profile image84
    Ivorwenposted 6 years ago

Sometimes I see a book review that makes me want a book, other than that, I collect books by my favorite authors.  Right now, I am working on collecting the works of three different authors from the early 1900's and two modern day authors.

If I just want to read something, and it is not available from the library, then I look for it on BookMooch.

12. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

What is your criteria for deciding whether to buy a certain book or not?

Basically I have to expect to enjoy the book.  Sometime that is based on the author, or the publisher, or the free sample, or a recommendation, or a review, or a recommendation algorythm (like on Amazon) etc

Also, would you buy books by self-published authors?

Yes, I buy self-published books regularly, they would be 5-10 of what I buy and 10-20% or what I read (counting review copies).

13. cjcarter profile image87
    cjcarterposted 6 years ago

My best luck has been with friend recommendations. I'll ask my close friends what the best book they have ever read was, and it's worked every time. I don't bother checking them out anymore, I just go ahead and buy them.