jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)

Writing your own Bio

1. Rafini profile image86
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

I'm writing my Bio for a Creative Writing class and am hoping for some opinions.  The first line goes like this:

Rafini is a writer who writes on a variety of subjects in different genres,

Does that make sense?  Or, should I say - writes in a variety of genres?

Thanks!  smile

1. Daniel Carter profile image90
      Daniel Carterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I like "variety of genres." It depends a little on how formal your approach is. If a little less formal, then you could use a "variety of subjects and topics" as Anti-Valentine suggested. Whatever seems most natural for the eye to follow is probably what I'd use.

Are you hubbing any of this? Might be fun!

Rafiniposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I hadn't thought of that!  It's been such a loooong time since I've been a full-time student I'm a little worried about getting all the work done.  After I get over the shock of being back in school I'll probably be able to get back into hubbing. smile

1. Aficionada profile image92
          Aficionadaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Seriously, they don't have to be mutually exclusive.  I've seen a number of hubs that were originally papers written for some class or other.  There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to post your classwork as hubs, if the content is good, and if it's something that you think would make a good hub.  (And who's to say what that is?  I've seen some that absolutely astonished me, as I'm sure everyone here has.)

I was thinking about publishing my final paper from my summer class...I finally got hold of the instructor today so I can pick it up tomorrow.  I just might do it, now.  Thanks. smile  I know I was going to write hubs about my Website Development classes, but I'm not too happy with them.  lol  I probably picked up skills I'll never use!  But, I have to complete the certificate, because I like to finish what I start. hmm

2. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I would say, "As a writer, Rafini covers a panoply of subjects in a variety of genres."

Thanks lady love!  I honestly didn't expect to find the word 'panoply' in an English dictionary...had no idea what it meant!  lol

3. Shadesbreath profile image89
      Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Rafini writes wielding the instruments of genre to explore subjects wide and numerous.

Nice!  big_smile  I like it, thanks! smile

2. Anti-Valentine profile image94
    Anti-Valentineposted 6 years ago

I'd go with subjects or topics.

3. profile image61
    elo_22posted 6 years ago

yes it does. you should let me read it when your done. if i can

4. Aficionada profile image92
    Aficionadaposted 6 years ago

But then, one of those (picky) little editing things - maybe best to check after you finish the complete first draft, but....

"Rafini is a writer who writes" - ?  Don't most writers write?

I would suggest something more like "Rafini writes on numerous subjects in a variety of genres," or "The writer Rafini addresses a variety of subjects and genres." Or some similar type of revision.

I'll be interested in seeing more of this too!

You are so right!  smile  I'm glad I asked, lol, ya know....my youngest said it sounded like an obituary.  lol

5. Jaggedfrost profile image84
    Jaggedfrostposted 6 years ago

I am with the kid.  As my bio points out, I am no expert on how to write a bio and talking about myself by name in the third person always creeps me out and makes me feel like I am walking on my own grave.  It unnerves me to the point that my writers mojo gets shot in the process.

6. arthurchappell profile image59
    arthurchappellposted 6 years ago

"writer who writes" is over-stating - "writes in a variety of genres" would mstate that you write just once rather than twice - good luck with your book

7. arthurchappell profile image59
    arthurchappellposted 6 years ago

Genres is good, possibly followed quickly by a list of some of the genres you've written in, as your readers are going to be those interested in the subjects you've covered. Hopefully your bio will then show how and why those genres matter to you - good luck.

8. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 6 years ago

I'd love to help out, being quiet good at writing and all that,  but I need to know what a genre is. Then I can loose myself in it.

9. Rafini profile image86
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

Thanks again, for everyone's help!  I posted my original bio & included the updated copy after the instructor gave feedback. 

(thought I'd already posted that here, but guess I didn't!)

working