jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Coca Kola to Coca Cola - Word Alliteration

1. GmaGoldie profile image86
    GmaGoldieposted 6 years ago

One of my upcoming Hubs is on Coca Cola and the history.

I found it interesting that they changed the name from Coca Kola to Coca Cola.

I know that "Alliteration  is the repetition of initial sounds in neighboring words." but is there a term for the name being changed to simply match the letters?

1. lrohner profile image85
      lrohnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yup. Branding. smile

2. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 6 years ago in reply to this

From what little I remember about marketing, I believe it must have had to do with 'appearance'.  The 'K' in Kola simply looks awkward.  The matching capital 'C's are more appealing to the brain.  There's a name for this but I've forgotten what it is.  It's the same principle that applies to pricing items as so many dollars and 99 cents.  Twelve dollars and 99 cents is more appealing to the brain than 13 dollors.  Strange but true.

1. 0
        Home Girlposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I's probably depends on brain. Mine is just irritated by all those 999999999.9999 things!!!

2. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 6 years ago

Could it be symmetry?  Or does it have something to do with the ingredients?  The coca for coca leaves and the kola was the other ingredient the pharmacist put in but the cola was more appealing?  What year did they change it?  I guess I'll have to wait for the hub.