jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Is feminisim still important for today's society?

1. Thunder Vixen profile image77
    Thunder Vixenposted 6 years ago

Any opinions? I'm reading a book called Full Frontal Feminism it's very interesting and has many good points. Has anyone else read this book?

1. Thunder Vixen profile image77
      Thunder Vixenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I totally accidentally put this in the wrong place lmao...

2. 59
      allisonaaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

no, i haven't but would be interested in hearing what some of the points are.

2. poetvix profile image87
    poetvixposted 6 years ago

I have not read the book but I too would like to hear about it.
    I think feminism is still needed.  Violence against women, the glass ceiling, inequity in hiring, and other such inbalances in the way each gender is treated make it so.

3. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 6 years ago

Who has time for feminism these days?  We're all so busy supporting our families, pursuing equal careers, getting or Phd's and keeping the world running - It worked, and now we GET to do EVERYTHING!  If you think we're really going to get the respect we started searching for about 70 years ago, think again, sister!

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You are as right as rain, sister.  But feminism started way before that.  The media, such as it was, only made it more known in the past 70 years.  What about the WWII women who went to work in factories to support the war effort?  The flappers who wore red lipstick and short dresses (OMG), the bared ankles of 1900?  The women who posed nude for the master painters of the Renaissance?  All wanted to change their parameters and may have contributed to our good fortune today.  Women in combat?  Another OMG! and I don't use OMGs loosely. 

Still, changing the world is slow.  We're being brought back down by all the blatant skin bearing and sex.  This is what men want to see but not what they respect.  We'll always be seen as second class citizens until we collectively stop using sex as a bargaining tool in the public domain.  Take it for whatever it's worth.