jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Keeping your writing secure

1. 0
    gabbyhopeposted 6 years ago

Do i have to get a copyright on everything before i publish it on hubpages? or when i publish it do i automatically hold the copyright?

1. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image91
      AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 6 years ago in reply to this

One way of proving your legal ownership of any written material is to mail it to yourself, but don't open the envelope.  The Post Office's (or equivalent mailing service) date stamp on your sealed envelope can be presented in a court of law as evidence of ownership.

1. Bill Yovino profile image90
        Bill Yovinoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The US Copyright site says that mailing it to yourself doesn't protect you.

2. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

Legally you own copyright to anything you create, whether in the real world or online.

However it can be difficult or even impossible to enforce copyright on the internet, where there are so many sites and so many people with so many identities.

If you do find a site has copied your work you can file a DMCA complaint with google, meaning they'll get de indexed and if they have adsense, may lose their account. There are other measures you can take as well.

Because of the difficulty of protecting online work, it's a good idea not to publish anything you really treasure online.

Some more information about further copyright actions can be found here...