jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

What Book(s) Changed Your Life?

1. Chaotic Chica profile image83
    Chaotic Chicaposted 6 years ago

When I was a young girl, I loved to read and my mother would sometimes get me books outside of my norm in order to expand my literary reach and that was how I came to read Bridge To Terabithia by Katherine Patterson.
    It was the first book to make me cry and it changed how I viewed the written word forever.

I am curious what book, or books, were most influential to you?

2. lorlie6 profile image87
    lorlie6posted 6 years ago

Hi CC, A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeline L'Engle was very dear to me as a child, as was The Phantom Tollbooth-author forgotten:)-and recently I re-read The Grapes of Wrath, Steinbeck of course, that was an amazing experience!

Chaotic Chicaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I love Steinbeck! Of Mice and Men is still my favorite of his. My sophmore english teacher had to asign me a different book as I had already read it three times by then.....it didn't take her long to figure out I didn't belong in her class but I begged to stay anyway! LOL

3. profile image0
    3 Finger Readerposted 6 years ago

Interesting question. 

For me it was Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel.  I read it when I was 13 years old--and it took a fierce hold on my imagination.  I was a tomboy and always outdoors, so it appealed to that side of me.  I imagined myself hunting for my food, practicing with a sling shot...(I made one eventually, out of a leather pouch and cords, and it was very, very hard to use).

That kind of freedom, self reliance and independence were vastly appealing to me at that age.

It changed my life because it encouraged me to believe in myself and my own abilities.

Chaotic Chicaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I had never heard of that book but the way you describe it makes me think I'll be checking it out soon!
      It's wonderful when a book can have a profoundly positive affect on people!

working