jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (15 posts)

The one book you keep meaning to read or finish and never have....

1. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 6 years ago

I'm sure everyone has a book they've always meant to read... but just never got around to it.

Mine are Crime & Punishment and Pride & Prejudice (read half of both, got bored, P&P especially makes me think the people need to see a sex therapist, they're so uptight! lol)

So what are your "one day" books?

1. FloBe profile image80
      FloBeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

"The Iliad" by Homer--not even sure I want to finish it...anyone love it?

1. maven101 profile image75
        maven101posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I was assigned this classic as a book report...In my Latin class !! ...The report had to be in Latin also...Loved it..
        Atlas Shrugged was a fantastic book that contributed to my changing world view at that time ( 60's )...I have picked up Ulysses, by James Joyce, read a couple lines, got bored and confused, and returned it to the shelf ( where it belongs !! )...Disjointed stream of consciousness is very difficult to follow without a discernible road map...page after page without a paragraph break to let the mind contemplate and absorb what is being written is difficult to sustain...Larry

2. 0
    ralwusposted 6 years ago

Quotations From Chairman Mao Tse-Tung and Mien Kamphernutz

3. 0
    klarawieckposted 6 years ago

My Antonia by Willa Cather - read half, got bored and is looking pretty on my night stand.
    I am struggling with Wuthering Heights right now. It puts me to sleep after two paragraphs, but I'm determined I will finish it!

4. Dolores Monet profile image91
    Dolores Monetposted 6 years ago

Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. Struggled through half of it but she got on my nerves so much, I could stand it no longer. However, it is a book that I feel like I should finish. It's an American classic. sad

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Finish it! It's awesome! Although the speech John Galt gives at the end is kinda boring. But otherwise, it's awesome!

5. CMHypno profile image90
    CMHypnoposted 6 years ago

Foucaults Pendulum - have never got past page 66 for some reason

6. KristenGrace profile image61
    KristenGraceposted 6 years ago

Pride and Prejudice is worth finishing smile

I'm actually struggling with Breaking Dawn... It seems to drag on, and I've just been skimming the final chapters to reach the end.

7. schoolgirlforreal profile image77
    schoolgirlforrealposted 6 years ago

the last two books in Harry Potter

8. barryrutherford profile image38
    barryrutherfordposted 6 years ago

Award Winning Book 'This is How' by MJ Hyland   

Crime novel about serial killers~was afraid to go further than the sixth page...

9. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago

...gideon's blieblo or blobyblo or sumthin' like that...whenever i'm in a cheap motel, i pick it up for a moment or 2....so i think it'll be awhile...maybe never?

10. 0
    Amie Warrenposted 6 years ago

I have not read a lot of the classics. The language and stories bore me. I am not "intellectual" enough, I suppose, to appreciate them. I started reading "Caribbean", but reading history books with no story was never my thing, and the entire first 1/3 of that book was history. I never got past there.

I've read the classics I was forced to read in school, and that's about it. I saw the movies of the ones that were made into movies.

11. Aya Katz profile image90
    Aya Katzposted 6 years ago

If you can't finish a book without forcing yourself, then it is probably not the book for you, no matter how highly recommended it comes. When a book is right for you, you will not be able to stop reading it till you get to the end, and even then you'll want more.

1. maven101 profile image75
      maven101posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Catch-22 was one such for me...