jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (16 posts)

What do you think about audiobooks?

1. FloBe profile image82
    FloBeposted 6 years ago

Have you ever listened to one? If so, which audiobook would you recommend?

1. spookyfox profile image81
      spookyfoxposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have only listened to two: Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman (which I higly recommend in any form), and The 4 Hour Work Week. It's fun.

2. FloBe profile image82
      FloBeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

thanks for your suggestions...I'm going to try and locate some of these and check them out.

3. 0
      Word Drawposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I LOOOVE audiobooks, they are great for the car, or to keep on your mp3 player for long periods of down time. I've listened to over 200 audiobooks.
      If you've never tried one, try the site librivox.org they have volunteer created audiobooks for things in the public domain. The quality isn't as good as professionally created tracks, but you'll get the idea. My favorite books on audio are The Thirteenth Tale, The Wheel of Time series, and The Time Traveler's Wife, but really any books you would consider reading would be just as good on audio.

4. Arthurhaven profile image61
      Arthurhavenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I've listened to several.  I love audiobooks where there is an assortment of voice actors doing an amazing job.  Like listening to a 1950s radio show. There needs to be more audiobooks with that kind of quality to it.  Graphics Audio is a company you can find online that does this kind of quality audio books.

2. khmohsin profile image60
    khmohsinposted 6 years ago

I have listened but those books were from my Course... so can't recommend you smile

But the experience was cool, you do whatever you want to do besides your audio book smile
    really amazing

3. lorlie6 profile image86
    lorlie6posted 6 years ago

I used to commute 40 miles one-way, and had just enough time to get into an audiobook before I got to work.  Then on my way home, I'd keep listening, over and over until I was finished.  The last one I really enjoyed was The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.  The story was read by a very gifted narrator-which I think really makes or breaks an audio experience.

4. rainstreet profile image60
    rainstreetposted 6 years ago

Audio books and internet radio are two of my primary sources of entertainment.  I became hooked while driving a truck 10 hours a day. I was listening to Old Time Radio on XM to contend with the boredom. Though the shows are repeated several time a week and the advertising at times becomes intolerable, it's preferable to staring at asphalt.  Most of the major truck stops rent audio books.  My only problem was the expense.  I often finished a book in one day and had to rent another one.  At 10 to 15 dollars each, it was competing with meals in the area of traveling expenses.  I discovered a solution, which opened up another complication.  I rented several books from my hometown library.  The problem with this is getting the books back in the allotted two weeks. 

Has anyone read Stephen King's "The Library Policeman."?

5. LindaJM profile image83
    LindaJMposted 5 years ago

I'm sort of an audiobook fanatic. I buy them online, and download!

I'll make a hub to list what I've listened to, and what I thought of them.

Currently I'm listening to Moby Dick...

6. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

To some extent, I prefer audiobooks over other media. I use text-to-speech software to listen to most texts found online.

I also produce and publish audiobooks, as described in a recent hub. I find that very interesting, but also fairly demanding. Currently, the focus is on free podcasts, but there is also a premium channel with novellas, novels etc.

7. Mr. Audiobooks profile image60
    Mr. Audiobooksposted 5 years ago

I'm a self-described audio book addict. Which audio book would I recommend? Where to start.....

I think if I had to recommend one it would be "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. At the time I write this is has a rating of 4.81/5 on Audible based on based on 9287 ratings which in incredible. The production is excellent and it has a full cast of actors doing the voices.... it really is a great example of how listening to the audio book can be better than reading the book.

You can see more of my recommended audio books here:

8. marguax profile image61
    marguaxposted 5 years ago

I love audiobooks! I totally agree that Librevox is awesome. Help is a great audiobook, so is Poisonwood Bible. I get my audiobooks from an online site where I can download one a month, or from my iphone app of free books in the public domain. Even doing the laundry is more fun when listening to an audiobook.

9. know one profile image59
    know oneposted 5 years ago

My absolute favourite is Pride and Prejudice - I think it was in 6 cd's, excellent for a road trip :-)

10. Karanda profile image85
    Karandaposted 5 years ago

My husband was on the road a lot for work so he absolutely loves audio books. They are a great way to pass the time while travelling.

11. MGARZABLUE profile image59
    MGARZABLUEposted 5 years ago

I enjoy audiobooks immensely.  I am in the process of finishing the last of the "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" Trilogy.  I would not have had the time to actually read any of the books, but since I spend many hours on the road, I am able to enjoy a good book while I drive.  I have also enjoyed several James Patterson and Sandra Brown novels.  All of these have been checked out from my local library, so I have not had to pay one dime to enjoy these wonderful books.  My only advice is to make sure the books are unabridged, as the abridged versions are simply not as enjoyable.

12. Stump Parrish profile image59
    Stump Parrishposted 5 years ago

Most public libraries have an audio book section on line. You can select from a large group of books that are free to download. You can either listen to them on your computer, sync to a player or burn to cd. There is no charge and most have a two week check out. Comedy, politics, current events and a wide variety of fiction awaits you.

I will say it was quite enjoyable to revist Tom Sawyer and some old friends from childhood. I am currently listening to, End the Fed by Ron Paul and Absurdistan by Gary Sheyngart. Peace all and happy listening.