jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Which writers/authors inspire you the most?

1. Resolver2009 profile image83
    Resolver2009posted 6 years ago

Good day my dear hubbers,

Which writers/authors inspire you the most? Both in terms of creativity development, and also developing your own unique writing style.. or do you consider yourself to be an author with no external influences?

Personally, I am inspired first and foremost by Wilbur Smith.. whereas, Stephen King's creativity has also helped me get my writing to where it is today. I am not saying I have carefully chosen anything of their writing styles and implemented it as my own, but rather learned on a sub-conscious level through reading their great literature collection; which have indirectly influenced the words flowing from my quill pen.

Would love to hear your personal opinions on this.

1. JayDeck profile image74
      JayDeckposted 6 years ago in reply to this

John Updike inspires me, particularly his short stories. He could certainly turn a sentence. He took an ordinary trip to the eye doctor and turned it into an exploration of memories, regret, and middle age. He made the simple act of quitting a summer job at the A&P a moment, at once, defining and empty, leaving the young boy contemplative and jobless.
      Every story takes the ordinary and transforms it, showing us how the events we slough off at the day's end stay significant and with us.

2. saleheensblog profile image62
      saleheensblogposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Personally I am inspired by many a Bengali writers but when I write in English I don't have an external inspiration as I haven't read any English literature yet. But I am planning to read soon. Without reading it's virtually impossible to produce something worth reading for long.

2. 0
    3 Finger Readerposted 6 years ago

One of my earliest influences is Piers Anthony, a science fiction and fantasy writer.  He is very clever, very original, at least to me.  The first book of his I read was titled "On a Pale Horse," and it was about a young man named Zane who takes over as the incarnation of Death.

Stephen King is an influence from my teenage years, though I don't admire him as much as I used to.

For my undergraduate degree I majored in English Literature, and from that education and experience I grew to love and admire Thomas Hardy, Jane Austen, Emily Dickison (though she's a poet, of course) and Thomas Pynchon.