Calling All Hubpages Story Writers! Provide Me With Your Links

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (76 posts)
  1. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

Okay.  Hubpages is loaded with talented writers.  Let me help you get your work out there!  Provide me with a link to your best stories (already published), a picture (preferably from your story hubpage) and your profile link.

You need to send me: category (i.e. death, relationships, love etc) with an intriguing snappy description (keep in mind that you want to draw readers to your link – so short, sharp and to the point – no more than 100 words).  No copy and pasted content – I want to keep it all original to benefit our readers. 

Contact me via the email link on my profile.  Lets show the world how good we story writers are at Hubpages and share the loooove!

P.S. Keep this thread alive, if possible, so as others get a chance to see this.

1. JohnBarret profile image60
      JohnBarretposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi dear,
      Following are the details as you have asked for:
      Category: funny
      Description: A short story on how to get a driving license in Pakistan.
      Link: http://hubpages.com/hub/Funny-Story-Get … n-Pakistan

Thanks for asking.

1. WryLilt profile image87
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you'd read the original post, John, you'd see that Shazwellyn requested you send the information to her via the contact link on her profile.

Shazwellyn, is there any minimum/maximum story length or approval process?

2. profile image0
        shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks John.  You do need to send these directly to me via email.  HP doesnt like us posting links here.  Also, I would prefer that you have an Avatar, as this will be shown in the article - it might put people off before they have a chance to read your story.

I want good quality stories, like a page of a book, to showcase.  The showcase has to be good quality, like the articles.  If you want help, I am happy to assist.

You might not want to showcase John's then...

1. profile image0

John might need... err.. a little help.

3. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have heard it is easiest in the rural areas, is that true?

190 words is pretty short; it is more like a joke than a short story, actually.

2. Freya Cesare profile image77
      Freya Cesareposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi. This is interesting. I want to participate. I did sent you the email. Please let me know if you like my short story. Ok? smile

1. profile image0

I am looking for ORIGINAL imaginative short stories.  What you sent me is good, but I am hoping it isnt your take on a folk story.  I sent you an email back.

smile

1. Freya Cesare profile image77
          Freya Cesareposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is originally made by me, but the gold in the pot part which are well known tale. But if you don't like that one, the second short story is original too. You can used that one. smile

3. profile image0
      surlyoldcatposted 13 years agoin reply to this

[url=http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Battle-of-September]Battle of September[url/]
      A different take on a story I put up at ficwad.com before joining HP.
      (Odds bodkins I pray this url thing worked)

1. profile image0
  2. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
    Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years ago

I don't get it! How are you going to make them and their work so popular? neutral

3. camlo profile image85
    camloposted 13 years ago

Hi Shazwellyn!
    Yes, I was wondering, too, about how exactly this works. It sounds like a great idea.

4. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Are you talking about a novel, or just an anecdote - a short tale about something?

1. profile image0

Sorry I need to be clear - short stories only!

5. profile image0

I shall make them into articles. I need to correlate them first.  I have done it with my own stories.

1. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
      Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I see. So by doing that how are you going to show the WORLD how good the story writers are???

1. profile image0

I will do my best, but of course, good content has to be chosen by readers.  We are talking short stories here, not articles.  Creative writers has problems in getting their work read.  Why?  Because people arent searching for their unique titles. 

(Your tone is not coming over very supportive UH, something that I wouldnt expect of an elite - do you have a problem with writing about good stories?)

1. profile image0

I am happy to support this project. If you can pull it off, I can give you exposure in my literary newsletter and podcast.

1. profile image0

Wow.. WE, that is generous of you.  I have produced a hub to give people more of an idea of what I am looking for. big_smile

1. profile image0

No problem. Here is the link to your new hub:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Calling-All-Hub … Your-Links

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
          Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Shaz, you shouldn't be feeling that way about my tone. Maybe, it was because I was really curious about the exposure thing and normally people do suggest how they are going to support someone like WE said in the post above how he is going to do that through podcasts and newsletter. Dale Mazurek also suggested his model in the opening post. But thats no big deal if you didn't mention the details initially, all I want to say is I am not being non-supportive.

Also, elite has nothing to do with my forum posts, it is kind of a job and I volunteered for it. I am just another hubber like everyone else and I am not special.

And, BEST OF LUCK for your project! smile

1. profile image0

Thank you Ultimate.  I am looking for quality original imaginative short stories to create article recommendations. 

I guess I am feeling a bit sensitive since the Star-SEO Wars, recently demonstrated in the forums.  I really want to make it clear that I will be promoting ethically and am looking for good content to showcase.

I don't actually know how successful this will be, but I feel that imaginative short stories need to be out there to benefit readers.  Short stories by their nature are not well optimized, and this is a way of doing it. 

Story writers have nothing to lose (except if posting a link and details is too much like hard work) but everything to gain. 

I get to develop my skills further - skills in white hat methods of promotion.  It is, and has always been, about learning for me and I learn best by experiment.  It will be fascinating to see what happens and the possiblities is infinate.

2. rmcrayne profile image92
            rmcrayneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmmmm, UH I think HP has a different perspective. Not that you were being snarky, but my take is that we are ambassaors for this community, and as such are expected to conduct ourselves with decorum at all times.

6. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 13 years ago

What a great idea, shazwellyn.

I hope I followed your instructions correctly. I sent you an email with the link, category and a little write up on one of my hubs. Thank you!

1. profile image0

I have guidelines on a recent published hub.  Check out my profile page for a link.  Here I have provided examples of how the showcase article will look, initally.

I dont know the level of response but I have tested my own stories over the time here and my method seems to gain readers.

What you need to consider is that when we write creatively (stories, poems etc) monetizing is far down the list of priorities, so if you produce this work dont expect to be a millionaire.  The aim here is make the reading matter accessible - to be valuable to readers. 

We dont know who 'out there' is influential - legitimate publishers etc - but who knows, this exposure might lead to something more at best, at worst - more people will enjoy your work!  This is what the Internet is about - good content for people to enjoy!

1. K9keystrokes profile image84
        K9keystrokesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Shazwellyn,
        Thanks for putting this together. I have huge respect for your efforts and desire to help those of us who may have a good story that just isn't getting read. Your intent is clearly positive and helpful for all. Thanks again.
        K9

1. profile image0

Hi K9!  Well, if you spot any talented story cream that you think needs showcasing, send em over here! wink

7. profile image0
    TransScribblerposted 13 years ago

Great idea. Sorry if this seems a bit thick, but it has been a long day.
    Do you want stories that have been posted as a Hub, or something that has not been Hubbed? hmm

1. profile image0

The OP writes "...preferably from your story hubpage," so that would mean published hubs. The idea, it seems, is to give more exposure to these kinds of hubs.

1. profile image0
        TransScribblerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Doh!
        Thanks WE. Got it now. As I said, long day... up at 4.30a.m and now 8.20p.m.

Off to find the coffee and get an email off!

8. Jed Fisher profile image69
    Jed Fisherposted 13 years ago

Shazwellyn,

Had difficuly sending a picture. Is it even possible through the HP contact?

1. profile image0

Jed, your story was an article.  I was looking for imaginative short stories.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.  If you have any of these, I would be happy to take a look wink

9. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Hey Shaz, what about comedy peices, not so much short stories but written to give the reader a good belly laugh? Also if I had a few varied stories would you choose your fav or use all of em?

I like the idea, I mean it might not make my views sky rocket but any help is appreciated. I did write em just for fun, not for profit and find that while its fun and enjoyable to have a few followers read and comment the pleasure is short lived, eventually they stop being read hmm

1. profile image0

I need to be able to group categories together and showcase the best.  Funny stories is an option for the future, but for now I am looking for imaginative short stories.

10. profile image0

I will not be showing any old content, it wouldnt be good for online reputation or readers, so this is showcasing cream.  I am targeting readers who want good imaginative short stories to read.  The length has to be around 800 + words.

Ah just read this after sending my second email.

And how old is old? Are we talking days, weeks, within six months?

1. profile image0

lol... when I meant any old content, I didnt mean age... I meant this as I wont accept bad quality stories - talented writers need showcasing for their art!  That is what sharing the love is about!  lol

2. profile image0

This is the format that I want to create for my articles:

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/3929472_f248.jpg

Teasers are like trailers, and this is where you need write a snappy paragraph hooking the reader to your story.  Does this make sense?

3. LSKing profile image68
      LSKingposted 13 years ago

Very nice! I have short stories but none published to HP yet. Is there a deadline?

1. profile image0

Go for it, King! If you need free critique or assistance before publishing or submitting it, you are welcome to contact me.

1. profile image0

You are really an incredible person WE - your support here on HP always appreciated smile

2. profile image0

No deadline - I 'hope' it will be an ongoing project, but that depends on the quality of the submissions.  I cant stress this enough.  The short stories have to be cream, a read that will benefit readers. 

I cant consider stories in parts at the moment, although am open to the future projects and will keep good ones aside.  However, I want to showcase SHORT STORIES (approx 800 words - the length of a conventional hub).

4. camlo profile image85
      camloposted 13 years ago

I'd love to contribute, Shazwellyn, if you're interested, of course. I'll take a look at which story to send ... I'm terrible at judging my own work.

5. Mikeydoes profile image43
      Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

I've only tried writing one thing, its on my profile page and its short, creative writing about walking down a boardwalk in Florida.

6. Rafini profile image83
      Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Hey Shaz, I'm interested, but am not too sure about the word limit.  I understand the 100 word blurb, but why an 800 word limit for the hub?  Mine are mostly 1500 or more.

1. camlo profile image85
        camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, up to 1000 can be considered Flash.

7. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

"The length has to be around 800 + words" usually means about 800 words or more. Or did I attend the wrong schools?

1. camlo profile image85

Oops - I should have gone back to take a look at what Shazwellyn wrote.
        Okay, at least 800 ... smile

1. profile image0

Just kidding. It is often easier to make a story longer than making it shorter, isn't it?

1. camlo profile image85

That is very true. I wrote most of mine at a writer's workshop where we were only usually allowed 400 words. Re-writing for HubPages with no max w/c was a luxury ... not sure it does the stories much good though.

1. Joy56 profile image66
              Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

shucks we should have kept our brilliant story we wrote on the forums ..... too late now

1. camlo profile image85

You could ressurect it smile

2. profile image0

Without it being BORING WE! lol

2. Rafini profile image83
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol   oops, my mistake.  must not've seen that +.

1. profile image0

Thanks for the "lol," I was only kidding. 800+ words sounds manageable.

1. Rafini profile image83
            Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile  less sounds not manageable. big_smile

1. profile image0

This is one of the skills of a successful writer.  There are certain criteria that needs to be adhered to.

If anyone has read my hubs on how to get published series (focus on childrens stories, although the rules apply to all forms of writing), these may be found as useful in tips and advice.

8. Joy56 profile image66
      Joy56posted 13 years ago

ha ha i suppose i could..... I'm tired but maybe tomorrow..... I enjoyed that is was fun.  Your short stories are just what she is looking for i would imagine.....

9. ToraMyuu profile image60
      ToraMyuuposted 13 years ago

Hey, would a story in the form of a poem work for you? At the moment I'm not entirely sure how long it is, but I can go whip out my notebook & type it up in a jiffy.

1. profile image0

Im not sure how that would work, but I could take a look smile

1. ToraMyuu profile image60
          ToraMyuuposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, I call it a poem because that is what it started out as, but it's kind of in the hazy range between story and poem. It's a story written purely in dialoge. I will type it up and send it to you & you can tell me what you think. smile

10. GALAXY 59 profile image89
      GALAXY 59posted 13 years ago

I had no idea that we could publish our stories/novels here on hubpages. I have a couple of small pieces aimed
      at young adult market,would they be suitable for you?

1. profile image0

If it is cream, then I will find a category.  I need similar short story types, so it depends on what is submitted as to how quickly I can get a set up and showcased.

People are quite welcome to nudge some of our talented writers to get into touch.  Izzy did this for someone so thanks Izzy! smile

11. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

There is a related thread:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/55916

12. profile image0

If there were a problem with old content, it would only be on the search engine side.  Matt Cutts said that regurgitated old content packaged together and re-entered as if it was 'new' content that links from that source would be voided.

However, I cant see showcasing existing good content would be a problem because content is king.  It is being showcased to benefit readers.

The reason why I dont think showcasing serial's (or parts) are a good idea at this time, is because readers have a short attention span, generally - there is a good chance that they wont read it through.  However, if those 'parts' were on one page, then that is still a short story and people wont need to click away - they have that story in the here and now.  People like 'instant gratification' and you have to get them whilst they are on your page!

My 800+ word count criteria for a short story is to enhance the content - search engines like to see substantial content to give the story some value.

On-page optimization - this really is more important than anything else - whether you are submitting a story for me to look at or not, for any chance of anyone reading - your hub page needs to be optimized.  There are some good psychological reasons for this as well as SEO.  I have a series of hubs on seo and creative writing that people might find useful.

For this to be successful, and looking at it from my angle, my recommendations has an affect on online reputation.  We, as writers, are only as good as our last submission - so it is important for us all to be aware of grammar, spelling and on page optimization.

It is a real shame, I have noticed, that when I come across a great story idea, it is let down only by a lack of on-page optimization, grammar and spelling.

Please keep in mind that I am using white hat methods of seo, so there will not be any automation.  Submissions will be made with the reader in mind and not to game search engines.  This manual method will be time intensive - but genuine.

1. profile image0

Exactly.

1. profile image0

Finding cream is demonstrating a hard task, however, I am excited to have a few submissions that really rock - one person has been particularly exceptional wink

I am open to people throwing a few suggestions from sources they have read here.  What I am focusing on is...

Imaginative short stories with a twist.

13. profile image0

OK.. so I have the cream of hubpages twisted short stories ready for release.  Are you sure you can handle it?

1. profile image0

Sounds good.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
        Phyllis Doyleposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ready and excited to find out about the story.

1. profile image0

Created the article and sent it off into the ether smile

1. profile image0

Here is the link to shazwellyn's new hub, which is the result of this thread:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Online-Reading- … th-A-Twist

1. profile image0

You are the best!!

14. Denise Handlon profile image85
      Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

Shazwellyn--just read the results.  Great job.  Thanks for pulling this together.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)