jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (16 posts)

Ebooks vs Hardback?

1. Boogr profile image80
    Boogrposted 6 years ago

Would you rather simply click, or turn the page?

1. Jeff Cavallaro profile image60
      Jeff Cavallaroposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The purist side of me would rather hold the book and feel the pages. The smell of ink on paper, the feel of a leather bound manuscript, the substance becomes part of the overall reading enjoyment and activity. However, I also enjoy carrying my entire library around in my Kindle. I can also browse and download any book available from the convenience of my studio. No need to brave traffic and resist the temptation from different flavors of coffee while I walk around the book store only to find the book I was looking for is self-published and only available online.

2. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 6 years ago in reply to this

turn the pages,

e-books are ok, but computer screens all the time is not good for me, hurts the eyes. and I am also more traditional,  I love the binded versions.

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image80
    Ultimate Hubberposted 6 years ago

Turn the page.

3. 0
    surlyoldcatposted 6 years ago

I'm currently published in EBook format, but am looking forward to getting published in hardprint. As a budding professional, i prefer both. FOr reading, it's all about what it is I am reading. Books (novels) either or, but graphic novels - hardprint.

1. Boogr profile image80
      Boogrposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I definitely agree with you on the graphic novel having to be in hard print. I collect several different comics, and you can't fully appreciate the art if its digitized.

4. Boogr profile image80
    Boogrposted 6 years ago

Well, I am torn in the middle. I am in the same boat as Mr. Cavallaro, one side of me absolutely adores the feel, smell, visuals of a traditional book. I told myself I would never purchase a Kindle or a Nook just for that fact. I was given a Kindle as a gift in July, and I have completely changed my mind about them. I love the fact that I don't have to spend my time waiting for a book to come in that I had to have special ordered. Or if I am lying in bed at night and cannot wait until the next day to read the next book I can just simply make a one click purchase and never have to leave the comfort of my bed. I have only read a handful of actual books since I received my Kindle, and I'm not too sure that I miss them... Or maybe it's because I have grown used to reading without turning the page... lol

5. Pcunix profile image87
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

I did not like ebooks until I bought my iPad. Now I love them, though the prices are ridiculous.

What I find annoying is that publishers still most often send me paperbacks for review even though I have told them that I would prefer digital.

1. Boogr profile image80

The prices do get kinda troublesome if you like to read one book after another...

6. Polly C profile image89
    Polly Cposted 6 years ago

Turn the page - for me, more relaxing and enjoyable, and I like reading in the bath so not great for ebooks.

7. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 6 years ago

Well, that settles it for me.  I am getting ready to publish and am still on the fence about which format to use.  I want paper but thought this was just a generational divide.  Now I see that readers in general prefer paper across the board.  Thanks, all, for this insight.

8. FloBe profile image81
    FloBeposted 6 years ago

While I have always LOVED books and reading. I find now that they just take up too much space. I am opting for e-books because I can grow my collection without having to dust or store and it saves on trees!

1. Boogr profile image80

And yet another fine point! I dont have a stack of books on my nightstand, just the kindle... (psst the books are under the bed) lol

9. spookyfox profile image80
    spookyfoxposted 6 years ago

I LOVE books, I really do. Not just literature, but as many here have said, the smell of it, holding it, the thrill of adding one to my library, and I really don't mind the space they take. But there is one downside which is besides prefferences, that I'm surprised no one else has mentioned here: the materials used to make books. When there is an alternative, and there already are problems with deforestation, can we really afford to continue to make paper books?

My major problem with ebooks is reading them on my screen, which is vertical, and there is a feel of detatchment. I don't have a kindle, iPad or even notebook though, so that could be the reason.

10. fujoshicat profile image61
    fujoshicatposted 6 years ago

I just recently bought my first ebooks online, and read them in PDF format on my computer.

I enjoyed the instant gratification of being able to read the books immediately after buying them (just download and read, basically), but reading on my computer feels more like work than pleasure. (I do most of my work on a computer.) If I get an e-reader, I'm sure that feeling will change.

But I still enjoy print books. smile

11. KristenGrace profile image61
    KristenGraceposted 6 years ago

Agreeing with some already posted, definitely turn the page.  I love holding a new book in my hands.